Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's on Top of Your 650 Toolhead and Why ( Dies )

Hoping you can take a minute and share what non Dillon dies you use. I have a 650 coming in a few months and after using Dillon dies exclusively on my past two presses, I now find myself wanting to read and explore different dies---Redding and the like.

Thanks

Edited by Canine582

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon makes great stuff but they don't make the best of everything. That includes dies. I use a LEE or Udie for sizing, MBF, Redding pro series(not competition)seating , and a LEE FCD turned all the way out so it just crimps.

The sizer dies I use size lower on the case and slightly tighter for better tension. The other dies are just so much easier to adjust than Dillon with their pipe threads.:)

I use a 550.

For pistol, Dillon plus Lee factory crimp. Good crimp and a second sizing. Rounds always fit, even in a tight chambered 9mm that I have.

For 223 and 300BLK, Lee universal decapper and Dillon size/trim with RT1500 in the prep head (and swager in place of priming ram). In the loading head, RCBS small base AR sizer, powder check since I can't see into 223 cases, and RCBS seat/crimp (in the AR SET with the sizer). For 30-06, manual prep and Dillon dies.

For 9mm, 40 S&W, & 10mm either Redding or Dillon de-capping die, Redding Micrometer seating die, & Redding Micrometer crimping die. For 45 ACP Redding Pro die set. Why, I really like the fine tune adjustment on the Redding Micrometer dies... I never had any issues with the Dillon dies, they make great rounds.

Edited by cwall64

If you use lead bullets with wax lube....The new style seater and crimper have removable hitch pins so the core of the die can be removed and cleaned without affecting the die body settings. This is a unique feature of Dillon dies that sets them far above other manufacturers. Lead is half the price too.

I use a Dillon 550B and I exclusively use Redding dies. As for the sizer, they resize .001" to .002" tighter than a Dillon, which is better for lead bullets. The Competition seater with the micrometer adjustment is just superb. The difference this die makes is that the spring loaded seating plug holds the bullet in line during the seating operation for a straighter and more accurate loaded round. I noted the improvement when loading an H&G style 185 grain SWC .45 caliber bullet. It eliminated the fliers. I do not use a Dillon lock ring with the .45 Competition seater because I do have to remove it periodically to clean out the bullet lube left behind from lead bullets. A Redding lock ring allows return to back to original setting. I use Redding dies for .45, .44 magnum, .40 S&W, 9mm and now .38 super comp. Good Shooting. Mike

If you use lead bullets with wax lube....The new style seater and crimper have removable hitch pins so the core of the die can be removed and cleaned without affecting the die body settings. This is a unique feature of Dillon dies that sets them far above other manufacturers. Lead is half the price too.

I agree. I also like the nice taper that Dillon dies have at the base. So I use mostly dillon dies.

I use lee dies in 38 super and 9mm. That's on a 650. They sit in a whidden billet clamped toolhead. I used dillon dies before but I found the following:

Lee sizing die sizes lower and slightly smaller. The decapping pin is less prone to primer drawback too. It's also cheaper. The dillon does have a flared opening which is the reason it doesn't size as low. That should make unaligned cases run smoother but my experience is a well setup press doesn't have that problem in the first place.

I like using the lee fcd as my crimp die. It gives great quality ammo and easy to adjust crimp.

Lee seater I wind right back so it's not crimping. The seating stem also floats and I never get off centre bullets. It's also super easy to adjust seat depth. Lee will even custom grind seating stems but I've found the supplied stems work with a wide range of bullet shapes.

I've also used the lee universal decapper sometimes in s1 with a sizer (decapper pin removed) in s2.

I've used the lee powder drop on my dillon press too and prefer its flare insert over the dillon (I now run the mbf insert in my dillon powder drop).

I run the mr bullet feeder too.

I do like that the Dillon die inserts slide out for cleaning but it's honestly never been an issue for me. The other pluses of the lee dies outweigh that small benefit. Plus I pretty much only load CMJs these days so there's really nothing to clean out.

I have used a mates redding dies and think their seat and crimp dies are great but overkill for my pistol loads. The rcbs dies look nice too but again pricey. The lee dies just work damn well and are super cheap. Nothing not to like.

is the press harder to run with using the U die. or are you making it work by using a bullet lube. I use case lube all the time and don't " fight " a thing as far as the machine is concerned.

note: the Redding Comp Micro Seating die is sounding good and appears to be liked a lot. I load several different types of bullets and the ease of bullet adjustment really appeals.

one other thing while I thinking: does the Redding Comp Seating die have what Dillon calls their

" flip-flop" seating stem. Where you can seat a SWC and RN.

Edited by Canine582

Lee Standard carbide die in 9mm, 38 Super, 38 Special and 45acp. Lee U die in 40S@W. Lee seating die with flat insert. Lee crimp die set

to just crimp or Dillon crimp die. Lee's carbide die set runs on sale at Midway around forty bucks and the are hard to beat.

Have a gun with a tight chamber Lee dies are the way to go.

I use the Dillon dies because they came with the used 650 that I purchased at a great price.

I did add the Lee FCD for the crimp die for all 3 pistol calibers. It solved chambering problems in 9mm and 45 ACP.

9mm: Lee size/deprime, powder, MBF, Lee seat, Lee FCD

I started with a Lee LCT and the Lee dies were included. Overall I like the FCD, but I'm not happy with the other Lee dies, specifically with the size/deprime. They are a PITA and cost a lot for the decapping pins. There are better options IMO. I haven't had any issues with the seating die, but don't like the lock design. I MUCH prefer the Forster lock-collar.

300blk: Prep - Dillon universal decapper, Dillon 1500 trimmer

Lyman M-Die, powder, MBF, Forster seat, Lee FCD

I would recommend the Forster dies, or the Redding Competition dies (if you need the micrometer). I also like the Lee FCD because it's easy to use and simply works great.

Edited by polizei1

Depending which caliber / tool head. it's Dillon, RCBS with a Lee FCD to round it out. I process 223 on the 1050 , when loading 223 it's on the 650 . I use the lee universal decapping for any media stragglers.

Everyone has their preference, what works for one isn't alway a cure all for another.