Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot torture distance?

FlightMurse

I've started finishing up my practices with Stoeger's The Dots.

Last Sunday I had 2 misses and one overtime at 5 yards.

I like this drill and 25 yard Bill Drills.

Both great for timing and trigger control especially after slapping the shit out of it for short range speed drills.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 7:12 PM, FlightMurse said:

I am working on addressing my lack of accuracy and started working on the dot drill today. Talk about a humbling experience... I went 36 at 3 yards! I am going to take a break from shooting at steel and focus on this drill and other accuracy drills for a while.

I was wondering, how far can you cleanly shoot this drill?

Can you tell me what this drill is Ive never heard of this...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 8:22 PM, Tonka said:

Can you tell me what this drill is Ive never heard of this...

It’s posted on page one. Link to Ben Stoegers site.

A sheet of notebook paper with 6 2” circles on it. Starting out, do it at 5 or even 3 yards. Fixed 5 second par time.

At the beep, draw and fire six shots without any missing the dot. In Ben’s class our first target was a warmup:

dot 1 for sighting in and getting the feel. 

Dot 2: two shots in 5 seconds. Learn not to rush shot 2 and take all of that time to get 2 clean hits.

Dot 3: A slight challenge, 3 shots in 5 seconds on a tiny target from the holster.

Dots 5 and 6: obviously, the corresponding # of rounds in 5 seconds.

When you master that, shoot the full 36 (each circle gets 6 shots in 5 seconds from the holster) and when you can clean it? Back out a yard and repeat until GM.

This drill makes any deficiencies in grip (the sights aren’t aligned or don’t return there) and trigger control (they don’t stay there) glaringly obvious.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It’s posted on page one. Link to Ben Stoegers site.

A sheet of notebook paper with 6 2” circles on it. Starting out, do it at 5 or even 3 yards. Fixed 5 second par time.

At the beep, draw and fire six shots without any missing the dot. In Ben’s class our first target was a warmup:

dot 1 for sighting in and getting the feel. 

Dot 2: two shots in 5 seconds. Learn not to rush shot 2 and take all of that time to get 2 clean hits.

Dot 3: A slight challenge, 3 shots in 5 seconds on a tiny target from the holster.

Dots 5 and 6: obviously, the corresponding # of rounds in 5 seconds.

When you master that, shoot the full 36 (each circle gets 6 shots in 5 seconds from the holster) and when you can clean it? Back out a yard and repeat until GM.

This drill makes any deficiencies in grip (the sights aren’t aligned or don’t return there) and trigger control (they don’t stay there) glaringly obvious.

Just reading the drill descriptions makes me sweat. I'm gonna try to print out a handful of these at work and give it a run over the weekend... 

I'm in the process of switching platforms but hopefully this will keep my sharp over the winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I use 6 mini plates and zig zag them on the wall about 1 foot apart. Draw and engage every target with 20 rounds each. I think it really helps with gun control and picking up the sights,  also saves on ammo...lol

well my first dot experience was this afternoon,what an eye opener,lol.  bens 6 dots was doable in 5.3 seconds after 3 attempts,what i discovered at 5 yds was that i keep first shot low(da) then resume back to center of dots,i also did the da dot torture and the dot torture,definately not easy, completely glad i found a new drill thats difficult as this wll drive me to practice it often,

I shot the dots today at 3 yds with my 9 and 40 just to sort of see where I am. I know I need to work on trigger and recoil control as well as accuracy. I shot 5 rounds instead of 6 because I wanted to shoot 50 rounds each. It was interesting. At 3 yds both my guns POI is at the bottom of the circle when my POA is at the center. Most of my times were 4.8 to 5.5 secs. I've only shot 2 USPSA matches so I thought this was a good drill to try and build some consistency. 

I tried shooting weak hand only at one circle with my 40 and that was sad. I also thought I was going to hit myself in the head with that thing. :)

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2015 at 8:37 PM, Jadeslade said:

Stoeger's are for dry fire

I use Ben Stoeger's dot drill for live fire.The setup is" 6 2 inch dots, 6 rounds per dot , draw and shoot a dot under 5s from 5 yd or 7 yd, 36 total"

• 3 weeks later...

I was taught to start at 5 yards. once you can do that move to 6 and then 7. It is really a tough drill that i still struggle with. I was also told to start and end every practice session with it. i usually do 6 -9 dots at the start and then again at the end. At 7 yards it really get tough especially if you are using a par time. if you are doing it at an indoor range start from a low ready. you can even incorporate table starts. Just adjust the par time to allow it. How you start doesn't really matter as the point of the drill is to get you on your sights.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, VikingGirl929 said:

Here's a link to some printable dot torture and other fun stuff.  

Going to try dot torture today.  Should be humbling.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/downloads/Pew Pew Tactical Targets (2017).pdf?__s=gqamwpoc7kdr5wvdx1s3

Thanks for the link. I will try these drill this weekend.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Shot that drill for the first time yesterday ad shot it from 5 yards...i went 28/36....it was humbling...In Stoeger's book it sets a par time of 5 seconds...i was a bit hurried in the beginning until i realized that isn't really that fast from 5 yards.  I enjoyed the drill..will do it more often to warm up.