Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot torture distance?

FlightMurse

I am working on addressing my lack of accuracy and started working on the dot drill today. Talk about a humbling experience... I went 36 at 3 yards! I am going to take a break from shooting at steel and focus on this drill and other accuracy drills for a while.

I was wondering, how far can you cleanly shoot this drill?

ben Stoeger uses this drill in the Fundamentals" class he teaches. He always starts at 5 yds and something less then the 6 shots/circle. Leave the time limit alone at 5 secs. Find a # of rounds that pushes you but is not too easy, say 3 & then once you can go 36/36 on command add shots until you get to 6/5 secs. Once you accomplish that you can move back to the normal 7 yd distance for iron sight shooters. 36/36 on any consistent basis at 7 yds is GM level shooting. This drill is designed to be incredibly difficult ....

This is a Frank Garcia originated drill. I have seen him shoot it clean at 15 yds. That was a few weeks ago. The top, I mean match winning, GMs can probably do it it at 20 and 25. You're talking about putting a minimum of about 1000 rounds down range a day for a year. Need a range and and endless supply of ammo. Look up what Eric has posted about how many rounds he has put down range yearly. Not sure if Rob has posted about this, but that's just work. You have to factor in talent as well. Eric, Rob, some other guys get started early because of family. They also have talent. A guy like Dave Sevigny comes out of the blue and gets real good real fast. but not at the age of 8 or 9, or even 16-17. Taran Butler same thing. They didn't start out of the cradle. They have monster talent. Just to give you some perspective.

The point of the drill is to work on the parts you need to work on-trigger pull, sight picture, vision. Great drill. It's good to start a day without a timer and just shoot it clean at 5 yds. Then go to timer. You will use a lot of ammo. Great drill, maybe the best one out there. You can only shoot as fast as you can. Good luck. DVC.

Thank you all for the perspective and encouragement. Although I grew up on a farm shooting .22's all the time I didn't shoot a handgun until high school, and didn't seriously get into it until 25 or so. I took a class with Bob Vogel a couple of years ago which was very helpful. I learned that although I have some speed my accuracy is definitely lacking. I am now averaging 250 rounds a week but it is mainly working on movement, reloads, etc. at steel targets (all the fun stuff) and I need to get back to basics and actually be able to hit what I aim at.

I need to get back to basics and hit what I aim at.

Exactly.

That's why Dot Torture Drill.

Start real close and work your way back, at YOUR

pace, and Your preferred distance.

It's all to improve your shooting skills - not a

competition.

Good luck with it. :cheers:

I tried the drill again tonight and I managed to move from 36 to 42, and I realized half way through that I had forgotten to tape off my glasses which caused one of the drops. Only managed 2 hits on SHO and 1 hit WHO, if you have any tips on how to hold the gun steady one handed I am all ears.

ben Stoeger uses this drill in the Fundamentals" class he teaches. He always starts at 5 yds and something less then the 6 shots/circle. Leave the time limit alone at 5 secs. Find a # of rounds that pushes you but is not too easy, say 3 & then once you can go 36/36 on command add shots until you get to 6/5 secs. Once you accomplish that you can move back to the normal 7 yd distance for iron sight shooters. 36/36 on any consistent basis at 7 yds is GM level shooting. This drill is designed to be incredibly difficult ....

Is there more than one variation of this? All I've seen is 50 shot version. Is there a 36?

There's 2 different dot drills being discussed here. There's "Dot Torture" which is a 50-shot drill starting at 5 yards and working your way back as you improve.

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

Then, there's the Ben Stoeger's "The Dots" drill which is 2 rows of 3 2" dots. The drill there is 6 shots INSIDE the dot in 5 seconds from a draw at 7 yards.

http://www.benstoeger.com/index.php/gallery/23-second-category/90-the-dots

Dot torture focuses on accuracy with no time pressure (unless you add it yourself) and exercises multiple scenarios. The Stoeger drill is meant to be "to not shoot misses."

IMHO, the details (size of dot, distance, etc) are NOT important ... :surprise:

It's the concept - small target (2-3") up close (3-12 yards) ...

Start out with larger dot and closer range and work it until you

want to go further with a smaller target ...

Personalize it - great way to learn trigger control. :cheers:

A few weeks ago I started doing the dots drill at the beginning and end of every live fire session. I've seen consistent improvements but still haven't gotten 36 out of 36 using the 5 second par time. I shoot this one at 5 yards. This drill is a no BS way for me to see where I'm at on trigger control.

yes the 'Dot Torture Drill" & Dot Drill are different

I like the Dot Drill since it's specifcially designed to work on your trigger control. master trigger control and you move into another realm in the world of USPSA

during the last class I took with Ben he did a demo with me gripping the pistol & lining up the sights on a dot while he pulled the trigger as fast as he could. he put 12 rds inside the 2" circle within the 5 secs without breaking a sweat ...

• 5 months later...

I haven't been to the range for a month or two.

Did the dot drill today 9 yards. 5 rounds for 7 dots. 31/35-I was happy. Only 2 fliers-more than an inch away.

I also did a bill drill--ugh. 2.3 but the happy part was the .2 splits--guess i need more work on my draw.

• 6 months later...

At my local indoor range here in California we are not allowed to holster a gun or shoot more than 1 round per second.

Could Ben's dot drill work with the same times if I did a loaded gun on table start? I'm not sure how much difference in first shot times these starts yield but the drill would allow me to complete it and not get yelled at for shooting too fast at the range

At my local indoor range here in California we are not allowed to holster a gun or shoot more than 1 round per second.

Could Ben's dot drill work with the same times if I did a loaded gun on table start? I'm not sure how much difference in first shot times these starts yield but the drill would allow me to complete it and not get yelled at for shooting too fast at the range

The dot torture requires you to draw from a holster but I don't see any reason you couldn't do it from low ready. The only aspect of training you'd be missing is drawing from a holster.

I usually do it from low ready since I also can't draw from holster at my range.