Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P16.40 Pro Custom Magazine Questions

Flash74

I just won a 40 Pro Custom in an auction. Since it only comes with two magazines I will need more to compete. I know STI/SVI mags may or may not work, MBX makes mags and ACT mags for the Rock Island double stacks can be made to work. What I don't know is if the 15rd Mecgars for the 16.40 will work if a pro custom mag base is put on them or if a Brazos base is put on them. Does anyone have an idea? Also will the 15rd Mecgars work on the pro custom if the mag well is removed? Any help will be appreciated.

The ACT mags work well and have enough length to use bases.

Greg Cote has a bunch of these in stock now at a reasonable price. The MEC GAR bodies are justa hair too short to use with magwell/bases.

Edited by Yeti

The two magazines that came in the box with my 16.40 (purchased early this May) actually hold 17 rounds ... no problem ... easily reloadable. With the Dawson extended base pads on them they will hold 20 reloadable easily ... 21 if you put the Arredondo spring/follower in there but I could force one every once and a while (just checking to see if I was at the bottom) and turn it into a salt shaker so I put the stock guts back in.

The problem is ... (at least for both of mine) is that they are a just a tad to long to fit into the 140 length gauge (using EGW gauge from Shooter's Connection ... they had one in stock at the time I was looking).

I picked up a mag for a 45 ... adjusted the lips (read vice) ... and use it with one of the stock basepads for an easy 16 rounds (those stages where you need to shoot six and reload etc). With the Dawson extended basepad on that one it fits the gauge nicely (it is about 1.5mm shorter than the factory 40 mags that came with mine).

Soooooooo ... while waiting for the MBX to be available I picked up two SPS 140s ... (the ones for the MAC3011) ... one from GrabaGun and one from Target Sports USA. Those come with a wedge basepad on them (with the push out pin) and hold 18 no biggie ... but they won't fit the gauge with the wedge pad on them. I added the 11 coil Grams spring/follower kit along with the 4mm Grams basepad on them (the STI stuff) and they hold 20 easily reloadable.

If you do the math ... by the time I bought the mag for 60ish w/ shipping and put the Grams stuff in there ($50) I am right where I would be if I bought the MBX mags (which I plan to do ... get two more now that they are available). There is nothing wrong with the SPS mags though ... they are nice.

I plan on sliding the factory basepads back on the factory mags for "real" USPSA matches (and use them as the dump mags ... short round count starts) and/or leave the extended basepads on for steel night ... steel challenge .. practice etc.

Oh yeah ... if you take the mag well off everything fits.

If you put the Dawson extended basepad on the SPS 140 it holds 23 rounds!! (I can't believe I am telling this as it doesn't look unusual ... and it isn't legal ... but ... heck ... sometimes on a Thursday night steel match you might just want to have a little fun with your buddies that are shooting limited with those 9mm XDMs and rubbing it in about how many rounds they have!!).

edit: (sorry ... lot of talking here ...) - you can find those factory basepads at EGunparts ... and ... recently ...

I had ordered some STI mags from Brownells for a friend (intended to go into a "real" STI 2011). I kept hearing a bunch of stuff about the slot height on the mag and such and just wanted to see for myself. I took the mag catch out of my gun and inserted the factory and the SPS mags (as far as they would go) and the slot lined up perfectly in the window (looking in the hole on the right side of the removed mag catch). I inserted the STI and it lined up perfectly as well.

I put the catch back in and inserted and released one of the STI mags several times and it "seemed" just like the others.

Soooooooo ... I didn't shoot any bullets with the STI mag but it sure did pass the snap in and release test just fine.

Edited by pete627

I just received 2 SPS 120mm magazines and they fit my pistol with the Dawson ICE magwell perfectly and hold 18+1. I also received several ACT mags for the Rock Island double stack .40 to try out, read that they will fit with Dawson base pads, but that doesn't seem to be the case for my pistol. I may have to find a way to get them to fit though.

Glockster35, If you go to Greg Cotes website there are instructions on how to get the ACT mags to work in the Pro Custom. It is a combination of changing the baseplate and opening up the mag catch slot towards the top of the tube.

The ACT mags seem to be the cheapest option so far. $21 for mag, $35 for DP basepad and $9 for spring comes to $65 for a 19-20rd reloadable magazine. All the other options are closer to $100 to get the same.

So far I have one of the ACT magazines fit to run in the pistol. I did have to enlarge the magazine catch on the magazine to make it work, and add a Dawson base pad. Thanks Flash74 for the reminder to do this. I will work on the other magazines later to get them rolling too.

I have a P16.40 with some work done...scary accurate gun (1"groups at 17 yards - max indoor range distance).

I tried the Mecgars with Dawson extensions....could only get 18-19 non-reloadable and had some feeding issues. I found some used Canadian made Para P16-40 mag's at Numrich Gun parts (www.gunpartscorp.com). With the Dawson extensions and Plus magazine springs I can get 20 reloadable no problem.

The other hot mag is the MBX magazine for Para-Ordnance. Some have had good success with them and with the right follower I've heard some can get 21 reloadable.

The Mecgar's are OK for spares...but from experience I'd stick with Canadian made Para mag's or the MBX.

The other option is you can get a mag release from Canyon Creek Customs for your Para that will allow you to run STI/SVI mag's....

Wouldn't be able to provide a link to those Canadian magazines would you?

The old Canadian manuf. mag tubes have a touch more length. There are some out there mostly used or some stockpiled, but you need to hunt them down.

Yes, for pistols with magwells, I suggest you use either of these. Depending on your use.

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000060-1388517801 (adds a couple rounds)

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000067-1388517802 (Does not add rounds)

Will the extended basepad that adds capacity put the factory mag over 140mm?

• 4 months later...

These will work in the Pro Custom 16.40with Dawson Extensions

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=160&products_id=1612

as will these

http://spsshop.es/cargadores-paraordsps-enduromac-c-26_38.html?language=en&sort=6a

these are actually 134?mm

you can run the TTI 7mm basepad on them and it should be legal but I have not gauged them yet

I've run both without issue

Since I started this thread I have acquired 8 SPS magazines. IMO this is the best approach to acquire competition magazines. Buy a $52 SPS magazine, add a $32 TTI basepad and you have a 20rd (40) or 23rd (9mm) reloadable magazine with a tool less base pad for around $85 total. It is pretty hard to match. If you have stock magazines, by all means get the Dawson basepads and an extended spring. I chose to keep my stock mags stock for the short, quick reload stages.

• 5 weeks later...

The SPS mags have been working great for me. I only have a couple hundred rounds on my 9mm mags, but my 40 mags have seen a couple thousand rounds for the last 6 months. They just work and work without issue. I am very happy with the SPS and TTI combination. The SPS springs and followers have worked well for me.