Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB or 550

I'd say the big advantage to the 550 is the number of different calibers you can load on it and the fact it uses standard dies. If you are just going to load a pistol cartridge then I go with the SDB. Get one for each caliber (if you load more than one) and never have to change anything.

Without a case feeder, I'd say they would be about the same speed.

I have a couple of SDB's and a XL650, and the 650 is faster only because of the case feeder.

I prefer the 550 over a SDB, and in some ways (not all) i prefer the 550 over the 650. I have used all 3 machines extensively, and the 550 is faster than the SDB. It has a bigger opening for you to work on than the SDB, and if something is off/wrong, its super simple to fix. The 550 is balanced. The BIGGEST difference, and the main reason i stopped using the SDB is the operating lever. The SDB's lever makes you stand at a strange angle in order to cycle the machine. The 550's level is at your right side, not at the center of your chest. This is one of the biggest differences between both of the machines. Also, the 550 loads just about EVERYTHING, and you can use any standard die set. Lastly, the 550 will grow with you. While you can get faster with the SDB, at a certain point, its really not worth it, especially if you are loading 3 or more calibers.

I've had a SDB and a 550. For me the completed rounds per hour were effectively the same for the two machines.

The major jump in loading speed is between the 550 and the 650 w/case feeder. The 650 is a monster when things are running smooth, and it can also be a monster when things get screwed up. ;)

If you are only going to load pistol calibers, get the SDB. If you think you are going to load a rifle caliber, get the 550. That is the route I went and ended up loading 223.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 what Stuey said. I have 2 550's (one at work for when it gets slow) and one at home. The SDB would sometimes leave high primers as you need to forcefully seat them on the upstroke. PIA in my revolvers. Never had a high primer with my 550's plus I have multiple top ends so I can change calibers quickly. I also got a 1050 just for pistols (9, 40, and 45), but it takes tinkering and my friends tell me I shouldn't be allowed to use tools. :)

I've never used an SDB, but have been very happy with my 550B. I actually like the fact that it doesn't auto-index, because when something goes wrong, it's easier to correct without getting things out of sync (at least in my mind). The other thing to keep in mind about the differences is the proprietary dies with the SDB. I like and use Dillon dies for most of my reloading, but I'm not locked into that with the 550B.

I have both, SD is faster because of the auto index, however not enough to make a real difference as I only load for 20 minutes at a time every couple of days, but if your 550 had a case feeder and a bullet feeder, it would much faster, but about the same price as a 650XL with the same equipment. Mr. Bullet feeder has a new gravity fed 6 barreled mini gun looking thing for much less $$$. The 550 is a much more versatile press, uses standard dies, and can load rifle. My SD is dedicated to 9mm, where the 550 is setup with 3 tool headeads for .223Rem, .357SIG and 9mm (backup)

Edited by 9x45

• 3 weeks later...

Manual indexing does not "slow down" the 550 at all, if your technique is correct. Because, in the time it takes you to let go of the handle and pick up the next case, your left hand has already indexed the Shellplate and set the next bullet on the case.

Manual indexing does not "slow down" the 550 at all, if your technique is correct. Because, in the time it takes you to let go of the handle and pick up the next case, your left hand has already indexed the Shellplate and set the next bullet on the case.

^^^^^

This.

I can pick up a bullet, index with my thumb and set the bullet in one smooth motion.....and because I have a casefeeder on my 550, my right hand never lets go, it just keeps on moving. I've got a few quick change setups and have adapted the casefeeder for .223 so I can't even talk myself into a 650.

^^^^^

This.

I can pick up a bullet, index with my thumb and set the bullet in one smooth motion.....and because I have a casefeeder on my 550, my right hand never lets go, it just keeps on moving. I've got a few quick change setups and have adapted the casefeeder for .223 so I can't even talk myself into a 650.

Word

Edited by Zzapp

Don't think bullet feeder will work on a SDB.

+1. Unfortunately, if will NOT work. Wish it did. :angry2:

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the non-standard dies. I agree it would be great if that were the case. Perhaps Dillon could manufacture an adapter for the Mr. Bullet Feeder Mini.