Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sweaty Hands

racingjoe27

Its hot. Its humid. You're wiping the sweat out of your eyes constantly. Now your hands are wet and slippery. What do you do before a stage to be able to grip a gun? Do you go LeBron James style and throw a bunch of powder up in the air? Or apply some sort of lotion?

Ive seen a couple different things used, powders, lotions, sprays, etc. I feel like lotions would make it just as slippery as wet hands. To me it seems that pro grip works better when your hands are already dry. What powders are good?

I've done Olympic weightlifting for a while and tried chalk and baby powder and neither seem to last very long. Maybe thats just from the repetitious nature?

Anyway, what does everyone else do?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a rosin bag ill use once in awhile when I'm on deck. Sometimes Ill just reach down and grab handful of dirt/gravel, roll it in my hands then drop it. usually takes care of any moisture. I use to use the Pro-grip stuff but I found it almost TOO dry and I had trouble rotating my gun to hit my mag button (I have small hands)

I've always suffered from sweaty palms, I have tried all sorts of remedies. A lot of them worked (such as powder, etc), but when the palms were sweaty again the result was lumps of whatever I used.

After I was told to have a wet towel and wipe my hands every so often, I had good results.

The idea behind it is that the cold water (or the cooling effect from the evaporating water) closes the pores and reduces sweating. I also tried this in the car and managed to get rid of the sweaty palms problems on the steering wheel.

The trick is to wet the towel with cold water and keep it in a plastic bag/ziplock so that it does not dry out. When you feel taht it gets hot, re-wet it and it should be Ok for some time.

(an added bonus is that no oil from the gun stays in teh palm, but the downside is that you need to make sure that you re-oil the gun at the end of the day to avoid any rust spots)

I have a coarse grip tape applied to my pistol. Sweat hasn't been a problem for me this summer.

When shooting revolver in hot weather I use cornstarch to make my hands more slippery. When you let go to reload and have to re-aquire a grip every 6-8 shots slippery is good.

A lot of the guys around here use this...

http://www.makereadyproshop.com/pro-grip/

Pro-grip... Enough said

I feel like the pro grip really works better when your hands are already dry. Or maybe its just me.

I have a coarse grip tape applied to my pistol. Sweat hasn't been a problem for me this summer.

When shooting revolver in hot weather I use cornstarch to make my hands more slippery. When you let go to reload and have to re-aquire a grip every 6-8 shots slippery is good.

Grip tape may help your strong hand, but getting a good grip with your weak hand would still be a problem. Corn starch sounds like an alternative worth trying. I might try the antiperspirant spray mentioned earlier as well

Edited by racingjoe27

Another approach is to verify if slick is a good or bad thing, if you determine it is a bad thing then the next question is why?

I tried the stick um stuff for a while, basically because I think it is good to try things, best I can tell is that some of the big kids use it and some of them don't, anyway, for me it seemed to mess with my feel of the gun and to interfere with any dynamic corrections if the grip was less than perfect from the draw or after a reload. If my hands are right on the gun and my grip is as tight as it should be, I could never see any improvement in control with the sticky stuff.

I used to use ProGrip all the time. I still think it's a great product, ( the spray is a lot better than the lotion ), but i prefer PrimoChalk. I started using this at the gym, and the feeling is not like normal weight lifting chalk. It has a tackiness to it, not just a powder. i think the last time i ordered it, i got the 4 chalk balls and it last two years. Dont buy the loose, get the chalk balls.

http://www.roguefitness.com/primo-chalk-balls

I used to use ProGrip all the time. I still think it's a great product, ( the spray is a lot better than the lotion ), but i prefer PrimoChalk. I started using this at the gym, and the feeling is not like normal weight lifting chalk. It has a tackiness to it, not just a powder. i think the last time i ordered it, i got the 4 chalk balls and it last two years. Dont buy the loose, get the chalk balls.

http://www.roguefitness.com/primo-chalk-balls

I've used that stuff, its crap. I would get a couple reps in and have to rechalk.

How is everyone using pro grip? If I have sweaty hands and apply pro grip, I get an undesirable result. If my hands are already dry, it works much better.

I just wipe my hands on my pants or shirt if they're sweaty as I'm stepping up to the line :)

This is what I do too, particularly the back of my strong hand/fingers, so my weak hand fingers aren't slipping around.

The Pro Grip works well, almost too well. It does what it claims to do, no issues there.

I agree with the "too well" part. It's so grippy for me that it makes it hard to adjust my grip if I don't get a perfect grip on the gun coming out of the holster. I prefer to just dry my hands and maybe pick up a little dirt/gravel right before I step to the line..

Edited by kcobean