Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Was Your First 1911 Part To Fail In A Match?

GunBugBit

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had it happen. After 40,000+ rounds my first 1911 failed a safety test at practice. I recut the hammer hooks and refaced the sear. All parts are still original. Knock on wood.

Does the mag count? I had a Wilson 47NX with a Dawson follower (came with my used pistol) and the front of the follower broke off and ended up in the barrel. I released the mag and the remains emptied on the ground! Got to re-shoot the stage, but it was crazy!

I lose mag catches every 8 months. They never fail in a match but usually they have chunks taken out of the ledge. Too much dry fire I guess.

Had an extractor fail at Florida open. Rebent it and did a lot of malfunction clearing but finished the match

Edited by mach1soldier

Sights. I break them a lot.

You don't so much aim through the fiber hole, if the light is bright enough the hole acts as the fiber would.

OK, that makes sense. I hadn't tried it so I didn't know what it would look like. So if the rod falls out during a match it shouldn't be much of a big deal at all.

Jack, I think it's cool you compete with a Hi-Power. I have one and might take to a match one of these times. I'm curious what I'll be able to do with it.

I used to shoot it "stock" - drove the RO's nuts when I had to insert the mag

to drop my hammer. :surprise:

Much better since I added a mag well, removed the mag safety and got a

bunch of SS 15 round mags (still wish I had 17 or 18 round mags).

Good luck with it. :bow:

I haven't even seen anyone shooting a Hi-Power at the matches I've attended yet. Just haven't been around long enough. I'm sure I'll see one, one of these times. Would want a mag well and of course more mags and comp mag pouches. The 1911 comp holster I use works well for the Hi-Power, won't need a different one. Trigger is good to go (no mag disconnect safety, C&S hammer and sear, Garthwaite trigger, all springs full power but hammer sear interface was tuned with TLC to crisp 4.5 lbs), shoots like a dream. So dang reliable.

Edited by GunBugBit

Another question to you guys: do you keep a backup gun, or at least spare parts, with you at your matches?

I'm almost done setting up my backup single stack gun. I don't want a repeat of leaving a match early for the reason of a small part failing.

I always. ALWAYS keep small parts with me. Essentially one of each internal and my punch set. Is a backup gun nice? Yes. But no two guns ever shoot the same in my opinion so I prefer spare parts.

This is true and for the longest time I kept a g34 to replace my 1911 when shooting esp. But I'd rather have parts pre fitted for a 5 minute swap than finish the day without my primary gun even if it were an idea tial platform.