Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shelf 1911s vs Glock based Pistols

There isn't a perfect place to say what I want to say. But I feel like i have to say it. So, I'm going to say it right here.

I love this sport. I fell in love with USPSA about 7 years ago when I had a lot more money and one less Child in my life. Even then I wasn't wealthy, but I was able to dedicate more time and funds to the sport that I can now. I started with really nice single stack 1911s which were quickly replaced by really nice custom STI based pistols. And those were eventually replaced by what I've always considered the ultimate in USPSA pistols...........Infinity 1911s. The pinnacle of performance in single stack or wide body 1911 pistols. I believed it then and still do....

Fast forward to 2013. My Son is born and everything changes. Everything costs more. My free time is cut in half and my salary was quickly reduced by 20%. I can no longer justify the cost of a Top Shelf pistol and ultimately have to sell some of my master pieces. It was painful but necessary.

As much as I love Infinity pistols and the folks that build them, I have resolved myself to the fact that I may never be able to buy another one of their pistols. Because of that, I've purchased Production gear at a fraction of the cost (thanks to Grumpyone/DK Custom triggers, Taran Tactical Innovations and Safariland) and plan to work my way back up shooting production.

ZEV Technologies also hooked me up with a full blown limited gun for about 1k, which seriously tempts me to try Limited without a 1911 based pistol.

So now, I will venture out into USPSA Production and maybe even Limited with much less expensive, Glock based pistols. Life changes and those changes demand/justify even more changes.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a single stack and a 5.4" Sight Tracker which will last for years and years. Back when I started USPSA I was carrying 1911s at work and justified the training/matches as beneficial to work. Now I carry Glocks at work........

Priorities can change. So can attitudes.

Ways of enjoying the sport include the skill developed, the competition, the camaraderie, and fun and thrill of shooting in a dynamic way. Pride of ownership of a fine pistol can be part of it too. But for every shooter, which of these things matters more to them varies, by nature or necessity.

I should say, if you think of the gun you're shooting as a tool, as many top competitors do, then it doesn't matter what it cost, so long as your participation in the sport allows you to enjoy all the other things that are still there, unchanged.

BTW, I started in Limited and eventually moved to Production, where I have been shooting minimally modified Glocks for years, pistols that cost a fraction of the custom Limited guns I had built for me. I continue to love shooting as much as ever, shooting as well as I ever have, and can still beat folks half my age with pistols costing five times as much and with five times the malfunction rate as that chunk of plastic and Austrian steel on my hip.

And even if I can't convince you that way, there's still this: your circumstances have changed, and have required some adjustments. I am as sure as the sun rises that your circumstances will change again, and may allow you to regain some, perhaps even all of what you miss. So hang tough, enjoy your family and be satisfied that you have done what is right by them, and continue to shoot and love it.

Priorities can change. So can attitudes.

Ways of enjoying the sport include the skill developed, the competition, the camaraderie, and fun and thrill of shooting in a dynamic way. Pride of ownership of a fine pistol can be part of it too. But for every shooter, which of these things matters more to them varies, by nature or necessity.

I should say, if you think of the gun you're shooting as a tool, as many top competitors do, then it doesn't matter what it cost, so long as your participation in the sport allows you to enjoy all the other things that are still there, unchanged.

BTW, I started in Limited and eventually moved to Production, where I have been shooting minimally modified Glocks for years, pistols that cost a fraction of the custom Limited guns I had built for me. I continue to love shooting as much as ever, shooting as well as I ever have, and can still beat folks half my age with pistols costing five times as much and with five times the malfunction rate as that chunk of plastic and Austrian steel on my hip.

And even if I can't convince you that way, there's still this: your circumstances have changed, and have required some adjustments. I am as sure as the sun rises that your circumstances will change again, and may allow you to regain some, perhaps even all of what you miss. So hang tough, enjoy your family and be satisfied that you have done what is right by them, and continue to shoot and love it.

I like this. Thanks! I'm really pretty happy with my situation. I have a total of 6 Glocks now which still doesn't come close to what my 2 Infinity pistols are worth/cost. As much as I love the Infinity pistols I could never have one for every situation like I do the Glock based pistols. I guess I'm just coming to grips with my life situation....

Trace,

If you think time is tight and money thin now...just wait until those kids get into Little League/Music Lessons/Gymnastics/Cheerleading/Swimming/Pee Wee Football/Age Group Soccer/Motocross/High School Rodeo and all the other things that will run the tires right off your SUV.

Then, they go to college and you see less of them...and you would write the checks you cussed all over again for another summer of being worn-out, frazzled and needing to be in 4 different places at the same time:)

I have no doubt you will kick ass with that piece of plastic...until you get back to the point of having more money, more time, and a very firm understanding that it is all about the moments, hours, and life experiences you provided to the next generation.

Hang on and enjoy the ride, buddy, it is about to get awesome:)

Trace,

If you think time is tight and money thin now...just wait until those kids get into Little League/Music Lessons/Gymnastics/Cheerleading/Swimming/Pee Wee Football/Age Group Soccer/Motocross/High School Rodeo and all the other things that will run the tires right off your SUV.

Then, they go to college and you see less of them...and you would write the checks you cussed all over again for another summer of being worn-out, frazzled and needing to be in 4 different places at the same time:)

I have no doubt you will kick ass with that piece of plastic...until you get back to the point of having more money, more time, and a very firm understanding that it is all about the moments, hours, and life experiences you provided to the next generation.

Hang on and enjoy the ride, buddy, it is about to get awesome:)

Thanks!! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My reloading room is the garage which at least thankfully isn't next to the boys rooms. At least the wireless monitor still picks up their snores while I'm sweating in 95 deg TX heat at 10pm making a couple hundred rounds. Apparently sweat works as a good case lube too. Hah

I'm entering that stage right now...I went from being unmarried, no mortgage, a great job, and tons of time/money...to now having a hefty mortgage, married, little time, a 12 month old baby girl, and the house projects are mounting. I'm a Bianchi shooter, not USPSA, but I recently decided I wanted to try it out. The $4000 open gun or high-end limited 1911 wasn't in the cards for me, given that I've got $10k in Bianchi guns already tied up, so I built a pretty bitchin little Glock 34 USPSA open setup, based off my old Bianchi Production rig. It's kind of neat being able to throw a catalogue at a Glock and for $600 and 30 minutes of your time, you've got a pretty fun rig. After my wife/baby fall asleep around 9:30, I sneak down to my reloading room and chuck out a few hundred rounds. I went from shooting every single day 1-2hours, to shooting 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes, which is a big difference for me considering I have my own range on my property. With all of my many hobbies, there's always been an ebb and flow with time/money/interest.

I'm entering that stage right now...I went from being unmarried, no mortgage, a great job, and tons of time/money...to now having a hefty mortgage, married, little time, a 12 month old baby girl, and the house projects are mounting. I'm a Bianchi shooter, not USPSA, but I recently decided I wanted to try it out. The $4000 open gun or high-end limited 1911 wasn't in the cards for me, given that I've got $10k in Bianchi guns already tied up, so I built a pretty bitchin little Glock 34 USPSA open setup, based off my old Bianchi Production rig. It's kind of neat being able to throw a catalogue at a Glock and for $600 and 30 minutes of your time, you've got a pretty fun rig. After my wife/baby fall asleep around 9:30, I sneak down to my reloading room and chuck out a few hundred rounds. I went from shooting every single day 1-2hours, to shooting 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes, which is a big difference for me considering I have my own range on my property. With all of my many hobbies, there's always been an ebb and flow with time/money/interest.

That one thing would be a dream come true for me!!

My reloading room is the garage which at least thankfully isn't next to the boys rooms. At least the wireless monitor still picks up their snores while I'm sweating in 95 deg TX heat at 10pm making a couple hundred rounds. Apparently sweat works as a good case lube too. Hah

I got a pedestal fan to use in my garage in summer. I just turn it off when I am weighing loads.

I will make you all feel better. I have 7 kids. The oldest is 15 and can't wait to drive and the youngest is 2. Free time? I shoot production and it is always fun when the fat guy with 7 kids beats the young guys w stis. It's a no loose situation.

We are going to a jr pheasant hunt in two weeks.

Wouldn't trade it for anything.