Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9SA Review

P.E. Kelley

What did you think of the external decocker? That "feature" concerns me a bit when it doesn't have a double action mechanism

I don't think about it. I believe it is a "leftover" from the DA/SA model and poses no issue for the competition shooter.

Probably would not be a problem for the EDC user.

Excellent review format! Tons of rounds down range, and feedback from someone who really knows what they are looking at. It also makes me want to try steel challenge.

Thank you sir. You ought to try a steel match or two!

A guy at work was asking if I would recommend a TP9, at the time I didn't know enough about them to say one way or another. This makes me think I would recommend one. These canik's are turning out to be what had hoped the Diamondback DB9FS would have been

A guy at work was asking if I would recommend a TP9, at the time I didn't know enough about them to say one way or another. This makes me think I would recommend one. These canik's are turning out to be what had hoped the Diamondback DB9FS would have been

Barring long term durability data, the TP9 does everything most other striker fired pistols do but has a better trigger!

It is NOT easy to do. You would have to want to depress it.

Thanks for the info and review, you have convinced me to try and check one out haha

I hope to get a few minutes to see if the decocker can be rendered inoperable.

• 4 months later...

I picked this up back during the summer and after working on the trigger i got it down to a crisp 4 lbs. I next did some mods to the grip frame to make it more comfortable for me. I then covered the grip with pre-cut grip tape from Talon. Lastly I made the extended mag release and ordered in some of the 20 round magazines. I have been using the holster that came with the pistol with the only change to install a tec lok on it to mount on my competition belt.

I have been using it to shoot local 3 gun matches and have so far put a couple thousand rounds of my 115 grain handloads through it without a single malfuction. To say the least i am very happy with this pistol! For me at least i like this pistol more than any of the other striker fired pistols that I have owned in the past including Glocks, S&W M&P's and Springfield XD's.

I recently had a chance to compare my Canik with a Glock 34 with a Zev trigger kit in it and a Springfield XD with a Powder River Precision kit. My Canik had a much better feeling trigger than the Glock and just as nice as the XD. I consider the Canik one heck of a buy considering that the only money I have spent on upgrading the gun is the $17 I spent on the grip tape! Where as the other two cost quite a bit more and then there owners spent almost as much for the trigger kits as I did for my gun!

I hope that this pistol gets popular enough that someone starts making either a trigger kit for it or at least a spring kit. With these I beleive the trigger could be gotten down to 3 lbs or less safely. Also a mag funnel would be nice for faster mag changes. Lastly it would be nice to get it on USPSA's production list.

Van Schneider

post-19734-0-94852200-1449462068_thumb.j

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/9/2016 at 6:35 AM, Underwood said:

Has anybody come out with any aftermarket stuff for these? Im looking for a reduced power recoil spring.

I wonder if you can use the new spring the competition-ready slide-lightened version must be using.

16 hours ago, 57K said:

Maybe. Looks like the recoil spring and guide are shorter than the slide which may mean they use the same one as the sa and sf models.

BTW, P.E.Kelly, do you also go by Paco Kelley?

I do not.