Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring binds up or something else?

Towely

Hi all,

I have been working up a load for a new trubor in 38 super. The gun is stock standard. When pjtting rounds over the chrony i had an interesting stoppage. The slide locked half open, at first i thought the next round being fed into the chamber had caught on the feed ramp and jammed it open but after dropping the mag the slide stayed open. I pulled back on the slide and it has no tension from the recoil spring. I could push and pull the slide and it just stops where ever its sitting when i let go.

Somethings binding the spring possibly, when i move the slide i can feel what i think is the guide rod head? grinding against the barrel, well something is binding up but im not sure quite what.

When i pull the slide to the rear, insert the paperclip into the guide rod hole and push the slide foward the jam goes away, the spring unbinds and its like its never happened. On another occasion i disregarded the paper clip and just pulled the slide stop out and took the slide off, in the hope of trying to see what the hell was happening but.... when the slide comes off everything is as it should be! Almost like there was nothing wrong to begin with :/

When this malfunction happens i notice that the hole that you put the paper clip into has rotated, when everything is running correctly the hole sits at the 12 and 6 oclock position. When it binds up the hole is at the 1 and 7 oclock position. The guide rod is turning, i suspect the guide rod head is jamming itself against the barrel and dust cover somehow, there by siezing it in place while its compressed. Does this sound logical? If so what could be causing it?

I will point out that i suspect the end of the guide rod is just contacting the comp when the slide is pulled right back, there is no daylight visible between the two and there is a very slight wear mark on the rod but not alot of wear on the comp. I guess these two parts are not meant to be getting that cozy?

This malfunction happened to me 5 times today during a 100 round break in on the gun shooting bill drills. Everything ran fine for the first 47 rounds and then it all went pear shaped.

Long winded but i tried to explain it as best i can. Any ideas?

Check the cut ends of the recoil spring. I had a similar problem after installing a new Wolf spring. One end was sharp and had a burr that curled in towards the guide rod. It would bind up randomly and cause cycling problems. I made a clean cut on the end of the spring with a dremel cut-off wheel and dressed it with a file. No more issues.

Are you running a shock buff?

I had this exact same type of malfunction. The buff was pushing the head of the guide rod into the slide. You could see the marks on the two little ears where it was grinding against the slide.

I checked the spring and it looks ok, the cut is a little rough and i cant see that it could cause it to bind but i will touch it up with a file anyway to be sure. Im not running a shock buff but the ears have left their mark in an area on the barrel. If i continue to have this issue after touching up the spring i might just relieve the tip of the guide rod where its rubbing and see what happens?

I relieved the area of the guide rod that was rubbing but it appears i havnt quite taken enough off as when it jams up its rotating enough to rub in a slightly new area.

Put a hundred rounds through it earlier, had about 7 stoppages, something worthy of pointing out that i had obviously missed earlier was that the slide stops in exactly the same place every time. The notch in the slide and the slide release line up perfect. Its almost as if a round from the mag is kicking off the lock to hold the slide back but it still doesnt explain why the guide rod spring assembly is binding up.

I can hit the slide foward hard and it either frees it first time or takes one more go. Im now sure that i have 2 issues and they are working hand in hand.

Yeah or nah?

Edited by Towely

• 1 year later...

I have had the same exact problem in my 9mm Trubor...  It seems to have lessened since putting more rounds through it...  The front of the guide rod hits on the bottom of the comp...  the back of the guide rod has two small flat spots on the points of the guide rod where it sits alongside the barrel...

Towley - What did you do to solve this problem?

Hello: Do you have the recoil spring on backwards? Are you using the correct reverse plug with the guide rod? If you use the recoil master reverse plug with a standard guide rod the spring can bind if put on backwards. I have seen this more than once. Also is the guide rod going into the recess in the frame? The STI frame uses a smaller diameter hole than a regular 1911 frame. Thanks, Eric

Make sure your recoil spring isn't too long. A coil, or two, might be binding.

You can check by removing the spring and plug from the gun and moving the plug and spring up and down the guide rod, watching for any binding.

Edited by MikieM

I ground a beveled edge on the tip of the guide rod that was closest to the comp so it wouldn't rub but that wasn't what was causing the rod to rotate.

The first time I ever pulled the spring off the rod, when I removed the paper clip and eased off the plug, the rod torqued in my hand like it was under load from the spring. Thats the only time its ever done that and my problem never occurred again.

So I can't give a difinitive answer other than pull the spring off the rod and see what happens. I have a theory but I can't really put it into words well enough to explain why.

Its not a common problem as you may have found out but I think my problem was caused by the spring putting load on the guide rod as it compressed and the rod just twisted with the direction of that spring pressure. 

21 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Do you have the recoil spring on backwards? Are you using the correct reverse plug with the guide rod? If you use the recoil master reverse plug with a standard guide rod the spring can bind if put on backwards. I have seen this more than once. Also is the guide rod going into the recess in the frame? The STI frame uses a smaller diameter hole than a regular 1911 frame. Thanks, Eric

The more closely wound portion of the spring is on the raised portion of the guide rod...  STI's Trubor comes with a full length guide rod...  I bought it new...  I'm still using the original STI guide rod and reverse plug that came with the gun...

21 hours ago, MikieM said:

Make sure your recoil spring isn't too long. A coil, or two, might be binding.

You can check by removing the spring and plug from the gun and moving the plug and spring up and down the guide rod, watching for any binding.

I can press the reverse plug all the way down the guide rod until it bottoms out...  It doesn't seem to be binding...  The end of the spring did seem to be a bit sharp...  Smoothed that out with some 800 grit sandpaper.

I'm using an ISMI 1911 Premium Recoil spring, same as I've used in my two STI Edges for years...

Here's a picture of the flat spot on the part of the guide rod that slides over the barrel...  and another photo of the front of the guide rod where it hits the compensator...  Can't figure out what the guide rod is rubbing on...  no marks on the barrel...  Thinking that this banging around isn't helping my red dot stability!

STI Trubor Guide Rod #2.jpg

STI Trubor Guide Rod #3.jpg

I just measured the guide rod that's in my STI DVC Open gun. The diameter is .325 inches. Also, my comp has a small groove cut in the bottom to give the guide rod room to move.

Measure yours. Perhaps it's not the original.

Edited by MikieM

The STI guide rod that came with my Trubor is .323" in diameter...  That's the guide rod in the pictures in my post above...  I have an extra Dawson 1911 guide rod that is .326" in diameter... 

Could you post a picture of the slot in the bottom of your DVC Open gun?  I'm curious about the size and length of the slot...  Thinking about getting one milled in the bottom of my Trubor.

Relieved a similar area on the bottom of my Trubor's compensator...  Not as nice a job as a milling machine, but I don't have a mill, so... 

Also smoothed out the flat spots on my guide rod and re-blued them...  Now I can tell if the guide rod continues to bounce around and rub on the barrel...

Trubor Compensator Relief.jpg

• 2 years later...