Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Racemaster Magnetic vs adjustment screw

turbopower18

Looking into purchasing my first Racemaster holster and im up in the air about the format of the holster. Traditional retention screw or magnetic? Whats the pro and cons of each as you see it as shooters. Thanks in advance for any help!

Buying first one I would get the magnetic. But if you had a regular RM I would not ditch it for the magnetic. The magnetic does click when you insert the gun but the retention is just as good with either

i bought the magnetic recently,just made the final '''tweakings''' couple days ago. it's now smooth as silk in every aspects,exit and re-holster ; has a very positive ''clic'' you feel easily . mine has the glock insert.couldn't be more happy .

The magnet doesn't have anything to do with retention. The magnet only comes into play with what "holds" the block in the up position when unholstering. It is the design of the block/holster body itself that gives retention.

The magnet doesn't have anything to do with retention. The magnet only comes into play with what "holds" the block in the up position when unholstering. It is the design of the block/holster body itself that gives retention.

The magnet does in fact affect retention. It holds the block up when upholstering and down when holstered. Otherwise the block would free float and drop the gun when you move / run.

I could be wrong but I think I read on DAA web sight that they only sell the magnet version now. Shooters connection only sells the magnet version

Edited by sauza45

IMO the barrel support is more for the peace of mind, if you have a round trigger guard the pistol can rotate a bit on the holster. The retention is still solid though.

It has been a while since I used a SVi metal with a STI insert, from the top of my head it had a lot of play. Too much for me.

Guess you'll find out yourself soon enough ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Was about to order one of these. Is there a reason to get the barrel support that they sale for this holster? What would be the reason if any?

A little extra security that prevents the muzzle from bumping up while the holster is unlocked. Like starting from a seated position, muzzle might push into the chair or your leg, dislodging the gun. I wouldn't buy one though. Easy enough to make one. I made this with parts laying around my garage to see if I liked it.

IMG_3896.jpg

photo sharing websites

between my Racer (same retention mechanism as the original RM) and my magnetic, yea there is very much a difference in retention. The magnetic is way less. I could hold my gun upside down with the Racer and it wouldn't fall out (but was still extremely fast to draw), with the RM magnetic I definitely can not (but it has a much smoother release and reholster).

Was about to order one of these. Is there a reason to get the barrel support that they sale for this holster? What would be the reason if any?

Once you try the holster you will soon see there is no need for the barrel support.

thanks for the input. So no one has any issues with the RM magnet releasing your pistol. Even with the system unlocked does it still have a pretty tight tension on pistol? I'll try it without the support first and put it to the test to see how it does. I hope I don't have to go inverted during any stages, unless it's to do one of those cool forward roll moves.

On a side note..new on here and how do you get the quotes from someone else and past it in your comments? Like in Sarge last one.

I had been using the tension screw model for a few years with some curved trigger guard pistols. I recently picked up an STI so i ordered the magnetic insert. I put it in and simply started using it. No drama what so ever. No need for any add-on crap. I used to use a CR Speed with the platform and I do not miss it. In fact, the platform would occasionally catch on stuff! I would use the MRM for 3 gun if I still did that stuff.

thanks for the input. So no one has any issues with the RM magnet releasing your pistol. Even with the system unlocked does it still have a pretty tight tension on pistol? I'll try it without the support first and put it to the test to see how it does. I hope I don't have to go inverted during any stages, unless it's to do one of those cool forward roll moves.

On a side note..new on here and how do you get the quotes from someone else and past it in your comments? Like in Sarge last one.

There is a little box in the lower right hand corner of all the comments, click it and it should add that comment to your reply automatically.

The tension on mine is extremely light when unlocked. If I turned it upside down with my gun in it, it absolutely would fall out with no hesitation. HOWEVER, based on the design of the thing, the gun can ONLY come out when pulled straight up, unlike some of the other designs out there that can be pulled out forwards or knocked out accidentally by bumping the butt of the pistol. So even though it is super light, it still holds the gun very securely.

This guy shows what I'm trying to explain, even though he has the tension screw version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the magnetic and we were yanking the crap out of the pistol while locked and it wasn't budging at all. unlocked though, there is pretty much nothing holding the pistol in place, but it does need to come up maybe half an inch to an inch before it could come out. in other words it won't fall forward unless it first rises an inch (eg if you sat down and the chair pushed the muzzle up).