Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dual Caliber 9mm/.38SC Considerations

tyler2you

Tried a search, but didn't come across much. I'm looking at having an Open pistol built in 9mm Major and was wondering if it's possible/advisable to have the smith fit a second barrel in .38SC. I'm not looking to be able to switch frequently between calibers, but more to hedge my bets in the event I want to shoot .38SC down the road.

Are there extractor or compensator issues to consider. Anything else? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd stick with the 9mm major (and I have).

I think you'll like it (not much to dislike).

"Down the road", if you feel like switching to .38 super

(can't imagine why you would), then it's pretty easy to

switch over to .38 super. :cheers:

Hello: I have built a couple of guns with two top ends and two barrels. You will end up shooting the one that costs less to shoot. My open gun right now has two barrel setups in 9mm and 38 super comp. I shoot 9mm through it. The 38sc barrel is sitting on my desk as a paper weight. The 6" limited gun I had I made it in 9mm and 40 and guess what the 9mm was more fun to shoot. I would get your new gun made in 9mm and don't look back. After 60,000 rounds or when it needs a rebarrel then you could have it redone in 38SC or not. Thanks, Eric

You could have it done no prob but there would be a question of you buying two comps as well. It would be a huge pain to switch the same comp between two barrels each time. So otherwise add the cost of a second comp as well.

You could always have this done later on as well if you decided to change things up.

I have been shooting open for years with 38 super comp as the caliber of choice. 2 guns identical. This past month I have had them both fitted with 9mm barrels and comps.

Now I can just switch barrels whenever I feel the urge. Mags work with both

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have the same set-up before. I had 2 barrels with comp for 9mm & 38SC. I also have 2 aftec extractor tuned for 9mm and 38SC.

I wouldn't have guessed that unique tuning would be required between .38SC and 9mm with an Aftec. Were the tips just profiled differently to account for the difference in the rims?

Just curious as I was going to buy a 9mm barrel and fit it, so did your point of aim change when swapping the barrels? If yours did then by how much? I would not think it would change much or at all but I could be wrong.

Yes, I've shot 9mm in a .38 Super barrel enough to personally feel it's no more dangerous than firing any firearm. Accuracy was equal with both calibers. It's merely a suggestion - follow or not.

There are many other posters on the site who say they run 9mm in their Supers to lead one to believe that it is a fairly common practice. There are others who feel the opposite way - similar to about any theory or practice advanced.

You probably have a tight chamber, but, just check around and see how many do it. In fact, in post #2 of this thread the poster says he shoots 9mm out of a .38SC barrel. Try a factory 9mm in yours and see if it will fit.

• 2 weeks later...