Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lots of poppet holes

Open1215

Ok. I stumbled across this pistol today. I have never seen poppet holes on the side like this. The gun has 10 holes total, 8, 4 on each side, and 2 on the top. I have seen V porting and top holes, I have never seen side holes to this extent. No this isn't my gun no I don't want to sell it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=492605726

it's a lot of holes. technically my open gun has 12 though.... they are in a V (two rows of 6 holes) and a fairly small.

and yes, it does take plenty powder to make major. in my case (IPSC) major is slightly lower than USPSA but it still takes me 10.4gn of 3N38 behind a 124gn RN CMJ to have a nice safe margin.

13vUF7.jpg

Aboit the same load as mine. Last time i chronoed was Mississippi Classic, I chronoed 176pf. w/10.4 of 3n38 and I like it. Big noise small movement good stuff. Lol I have 4 popple holes in my barrel. But the Gunbroker gun, I have what that gun would need, a new Trubor S2 barrel. Or like as mentioned before a good steel gun. Lol. IMHO..

Maybe the gun had a bad wobble? Lol

The dang buy it price did I miss the SV logo? To each his own. He gun his price. His wife must have told him to sell it. That's what I would if someone told me I didn't have a choice I have sell my guns they would be off the charts too. Lol

See post below, LMAO...

Edited by a matt

Just speculating but maybe it was an R&D gun that did not perform the way they thought it would.

On a personal note, I'm not sure if I would like to see completely through my barrel like that.

I have to agree... I think he tried and failed... he may have got it 2nd hand with 2 poppet holes and slide ports and decided to do the old drill press special. Well if 2 holes are good 10 has to be better! Idk. Looks odd. I know I have seen some heavily ported guns but I have never seen placement and size quite like that. I don't think he will get the buy it now price... I could be wrong.

That was sorta my thinking. Ok the gun is FUBAR... perhaps if it's cheap pop a new barrel on add the 2 holes at 12 like he has a shoot the tar out of it. But NOT at that price! If it came w 5 170mm and 5 140mm belt mag pouches brass and holster perhaps?? But yaaa no I'm gonna pass. GLWS bro

Also pic number 7. There is a large slot removed from the dust cover on the frame so you can clearly see the recoil system. Is that normal? It seems like that would put a weak spot on the frame and open up all sorts of gunk issues. Anyone seen that done before?

I saw that cut in the frame. The ATF is not going to be happy about someone removing the manufacturers name from the dustcover.

Wow I hadn't thought about that! I wonder, if it does sell, if the ffl it's transfered to will allow the sale...

Side note. Someone clearly put a lot of cash building this gun. The slide cuts and the 12 o clock holes are great. The barrel cutting was done nicely. Everything that was done seems to have been done very well from what can see. I just don't know. It's a shame to see. Hurts my head. If the 8 side holes didn't happen or if the frame wasn't chopped this would be a great set up. Who knows w/o shooting it, its possible it's the softest fattest thing to ever make major! I just really doubt it.

Edit to add: I'm tempted to message him on gunbroker and ask if he can make major w the holes and if so what his load data is...

Edited by Open1215

I'm pretty sure that guy's 'smith got a new mill and just started playing with all the new buttons and end mills. My favorite feature is the completely different set of slide cuts on the left vs right side. MOST CUSTOM EVAR!

The Tanfo openguns also have a bunch of poppy holes, the guys in the club loads their 9x19 insanly hot to get them to shoot flat as it takes tons of gas. I have 9 ports in my comp on the old Leatham 1, and I need so much gas to get it to be flat it is. I just started reloading and getting into that whole bit, but I will probably run about 9.4-9.7gr of n105 with 124gr bullets for .38 super, just got get it flatter.