Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade 550b or move to 650?

Hi guys. I know this is a topic that has been covered a billion and a half times (approximately), but it seems like the question usually relates directly to switching between handgun and rifle calibers (at least the answers seem to take this into consideration).

I currently have a 550b that I've been very pleased with. I load handgun only, and currently only 9mm and .45 (although I may decide to begin loading .38 at some point as well). I have no plans to reload rifles anytime soon, as I don't get a chance to take my long guns out very often.

I'm trying to decide whether it would be advantageous to purchase the case feeder for the 550b or try to sell it and move into a 650xl instead. The auto-indexing seems like a pretty attractive feature, along with the possibility of adding a bullet feeder down the road, but I'm just not sure that there is enough of a difference between the machines to warrant the depreciation loss from the 550 sale and the purchase price of the 650 (especially once you factor in conversion kits for the case feeder and press).

I appreciate you guys taking the time to let me learn from your experience here - I know many of you have/had both presses and your input is valuable.

Thanks!

-Brian

Oh, also, I'm planning to purchase a few upgrades to the 550b anyway (such as the roller handle, strong mount (the 550/650 version), and bullet tray), but as I understand it, these can be moved over to a 650 if I decide to go in that direction. Is that right?

Go with the 650 and don't look back. I did not like the Roller Handle and use the original ball on both of my 650s. I also think once you get used to the 650 you may find the bullet feeder is not necessary. I feel it wouldn't add much to my output. JMO/

I'm interested in following this discussion as I'm mulling the same question. Right now I think the slowdown to my 550 is feeding the cases since (after ten years of practice, lol) I can place the bullet and index in one smooth motion. Feeding the brass and cranking the handle, on the other hand (sorry for the pun), is definitely two distinct motions. With a brass feeder, that would mean one hand cranking and the other indexing which should amount to some fast work. Regardless of the cost savings (vs a 650 that may eventually need a feeder as well) I think this is the way to go (and plan to once I've got my new rifle squared away) but would like to hear from others who may have been there/done that.

Both you guys go 650 with casefeed and don't look back!!!!!! But save the 550. I have found the 550 is super handy for the odd calibers I have acquired over the years and don't shoot vast amounts of ammo. It's bad practice to sell a loader that's blue anyway :^)

Both you guys go 650 with casefeed and don't look back!!!!!! But save the 550. I have found the 550 is super handy for the odd calibers I have acquired over the years and don't shoot vast amounts of ammo. It's bad practice to sell a loader that's blue anyway :^)

LOL, if I could afford a case feeder AND a 650 I wouldn't bother thinking about it! My budget says one or the other.

I agree in part with John Wayne, but the 550B w/case feeder will do all you need/want for now. It will speed up production about 25% as Dillon advertises, but the bottom line is "How many rounds/month are you shooting?" If it gets high enough, by your judgement, then go for the 650, but until you run into a time factor for the rounds you shoot, keep on with the 550B. You can always sell it for nearly as much as you have in it.

I have a 550 (the older version before the "B" modification) and a 1050. I use the 550 for rifle and a few low-production pistol rounds. The 1050 is dedicated to the high-round-count stuff for speed of loading ammo. Whatever you decide, keep the 550B, even if you think the 650 is more advantageous for now. You'll be glad you kept it!

Alan~^~

I'm certainly not breaking any records when it comes to ammo production (or consumption), but the issue is one of time management. When I do get the chance to sit down to reload, I really need to be as efficient as possible.

That being said, caliber changes on the 550b are pretty simple. How ugly are they on the 650 in comparison (consider that I'm going from small primers to large primers at the same time)?

Caliber changes go really fast especially if you have the toolhead set up with a powder measure ready to go. The switch on primer size is easy less than 10 minutes. I'll load lots of extra ammo with the primer size that's in place before I switch.

I'm certainly not breaking any records when it comes to ammo production (or consumption), but the issue is one of time management. When I do get the chance to sit down to reload, I really need to be as efficient as possible.

That being said, caliber changes on the 550b are pretty simple. How ugly are they on the 650 in comparison (consider that I'm going from small primers to large primers at the same time)?

If this is the case then the XL650 is the way to go. The 550B with a case feeder will get you maybe a 25% increase. The XL650 with the casefeeder and AUTO INDEX will get you 50%

LOL, if I could afford a case feeder AND a 650 I wouldn't bother thinking about it! My budget says one or the other.

I bought the 650 not too long ago and the case feeder and honestly, the case feeder is still in the box. I have no problem reloading the tube every 15-20 (the tube alone holds 20 casings) casing. Maybe because i'm still pretty new and I'm not in any hurry, but I see no reason for the case feeder for the amount of ammo I load. Maybe if you run off a ton like others, I get it. I sort of wish I didn't buy it but I would guess at some point, I'll be glad I have it.

I guess what I'm saying is you can get the 650 without the case feeder. Maybe down the road add it as your finances allow, but IMO, I don't agree with "don't even think about getting the 650 w/o the case feeder" mentality unless you reload a ton. And if you don't reload a lot, keep the 550. I know for a fact I would of been 100% content with the 550 instead of the 650.

Edited by Meyer23

I bought the 650 not too long ago and the case feeder and honestly, the case feeder is still in the box. I have no problem reloading the tube every 15-20 (the tube alone holds 20 casings) casing. Maybe because i'm still pretty new and I'm not in any hurry, but I see no reason for the case feeder for the amount of ammo I load. Maybe if you run off a ton like others, I get it. I sort of wish I didn't buy it but I would guess at some point, I'll be glad I have it.

I guess what I'm saying is you can get the 650 without the case feeder. Maybe down the road add it as your finances allow, but IMO, I don't agree with "don't even think about getting the 650 w/o the case feeder" mentality unless you reload a ton. And if you don't reload a lot, keep the 550. I know for a fact I would of been 100% content with the 550 instead of the 650.

You're going to be spoiled when you start using it.

I don't doubt it which is why I bought it.

I just can't justify running right now for the amount I reload but you can surely buy it without the case feeder which then at that point, I guess you should just get the 550.

Hi guys. I know this is a topic that has been covered a billion and a half times (approximately), but it seems like the question usually relates directly to switching between handgun and rifle calibers (at least the answers seem to take this into consideration).

I currently have a 550b that I've been very pleased with. I load handgun only, and currently only 9mm and .45 (although I may decide to begin loading .38 at some point as well). I have no plans to reload rifles anytime soon, as I don't get a chance to take my long guns out very often.

I'm trying to decide whether it would be advantageous to purchase the case feeder for the 550b or try to sell it and move into a 650xl instead. The auto-indexing seems like a pretty attractive feature, along with the possibility of adding a bullet feeder down the road, but I'm just not sure that there is enough of a difference between the machines to warrant the depreciation loss from the 550 sale and the purchase price of the 650 (especially once you factor in conversion kits for the case feeder and press).

I appreciate you guys taking the time to let me learn from your experience here - I know many of you have/had both presses and your input is valuable.

Thanks!

-Brian

Compare the cost of adding a casefeeder and a 38 conversion kit to your 550 with the cost of buying a 650 with casefeeder and conversions for 9/38/45 less what you can sell your 550 setup for. Then factor in your total estimated rounds per year.

Edited by pmt

I bought a case feeder for my 550. I returned it the next day and bought a 650 and then sold the 550. I couldn't be happier. I also added a mr bullet feeder. I recommend the 650 over the 550 with a case feeder. I had the new style 550 case feeder that is removable and it was a pita, as it nweds to be removed to load 223. You will enjoy a 650 a lot more.

Edited by echotango

Thanks a bunch. It sounds like I'm going to start looking at the 650 and working on the story I need to tell my wife as to exactly why I need to upgrade from a perfectly good existing press...

:devil:

Thanks a bunch. It sounds like I'm going to start looking at the 650 and working on the story I need to tell my wife as to exactly why I need to upgrade from a perfectly good existing press...

You tell her you need the 650 to run off rounds quicker to cut down on reloading time, therefore, you can spend more time with her. B)

Edited by Meyer23

I pondered the same question a few years ago. I cheaped out and bought the 550 casefeeder. After fighting with it for months I finally broke down and bought the 650 which I should have bought in the first place. The 550 casefeeder is feeding my casepro. If I had the room I would have kept the 550 for lower volume calibers but I don't so I sold it. The 550 is an excellent well balanced press, the lack of auto index doesn't slow it down when you manually feed cases and place bullets. Add a casefeeder to the mix and the left hand is overworked. Add to that the cobbling of a case feeder to a press that wasn't designed for one is a disaster.

Unless she is a shooter, she doesn't know the press is perfect. I am in the process of looking into a new house for my wife not because we need one but because she wants one. The trade off - a second 650 :)

How much of a pain is it to change calibers from 9mm to .45 and vice-versa? I know this will mean changing the toolhead, primer system, and case feeder caliber, but I don't know how big of a deal it is to do this on the 650?

On the 650 if you load 9 and 45 you can use the large case feed plate for both.

You need to change case feed bushes and body collar (about 1 min).

Toolhead is like a 1 min job assuming you have powder measures on both. Otherwise add 2 more min to swap powder measure over and 5 more to reset the charge.

If yoyr 45 cases are small primer that's easy. If not change the primer system. That's the 5-10mim job.

Change shell plate and buttons is a 2 min job.

So 5 or 6 min best case. 10-15 worst case.

I have been contemplating this same thing myself. I have been using my 550 for about 4 years now and it has worked great but I really wish I knew then what I know now as I would have definitely bought the 650. I am only loading 9mm so I most likely will sell my 550 to purchase a new 650. This thread just confirmed what I already suspected, the 650 is the press to have!

On the 650 if you load 9 and 45 you can use the large case feed plate for both.

You need to change case feed bushes and body collar (about 1 min).

Toolhead is like a 1 min job assuming you have powder measures on both. Otherwise add 2 more min to swap powder measure over and 5 more to reset the charge.

If yoyr 45 cases are small primer that's easy. If not change the primer system. That's the 5-10mim job.

Change shell plate and buttons is a 2 min job.

So 5 or 6 min best case. 10-15 worst case.

Thanks - it doesn't sound like it's that much different than the 550, with the exception of the case feeder, of course. It seems like the primer system is really the big difference in changing calibers between the two.

I already have an extra powder measure for the 550, which I think I can bring over to the 650 tool head to make that simpler.