Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade 550b or move to 650?

I don't doubt it which is why I bought it.

I just can't justify running right now for the amount I reload but you can surely buy it without the case feeder which then at that point, I guess you should just get the 550.

Or buy the 650 now and add the case feeder next payday.

On the 650 if you load 9 and 45 you can use the large case feed plate for both.

You need to change case feed bushes and body collar (about 1 min).

Toolhead is like a 1 min job assuming you have powder measures on both. Otherwise add 2 more min to swap powder measure over and 5 more to reset the charge.

If yoyr 45 cases are small primer that's easy. If not change the primer system. That's the 5-10mim job.

Change shell plate and buttons is a 2 min job.

So 5 or 6 min best case. 10-15 worst case.

Thanks - it doesn't sound like it's that much different than the 550, with the exception of the case feeder, of course. It seems like the primer system is really the big difference in changing calibers between the two.

I already have an extra powder measure for the 550, which I think I can bring over to the 650 tool head to make that simpler.

yep from the 550 you can take:

dies

powder measure

not much else...

well strong mount if you have one.

tools.

I strongly suggest if you load 45 and 9mm buy the casefeeder with the large pistol plate. it'll serve both those calibres just fine. I use a large plate for 9mm and 38 super no problem.

changing the case feed parts is easy. I've not done the primer change from large to small on a 550 but on a 650 it's:

remove primer assembly. replace primer magazine with other size. remove primer punch from machine and replace with other size. dissasemble primer assembly to replace primer disc with other size.

you can buy a quick change which is essentially a whole other primer setup. then it's just swapping the whole unit over and the punch. that makes it more like a 2-5min job instead of 5-10min.

It's really only the case feed parts that add extra time over a 550 and they are super easy to change.

On the 650 if you load 9 and 45 you can use the large case feed plate for both.

You need to change case feed bushes and body collar (about 1 min).

Toolhead is like a 1 min job assuming you have powder measures on both. Otherwise add 2 more min to swap powder measure over and 5 more to reset the charge.

If yoyr 45 cases are small primer that's easy. If not change the primer system. That's the 5-10mim job.

Change shell plate and buttons is a 2 min job.

So 5 or 6 min best case. 10-15 worst case.

Thanks - it doesn't sound like it's that much different than the 550, with the exception of the case feeder, of course. It seems like the primer system is really the big difference in changing calibers between the two.

I already have an extra powder measure for the 550, which I think I can bring over to the 650 tool head to make that simpler.

yep from the 550 you can take:

dies

powder measure

not much else...

well strong mount if you have one.

tools.

I strongly suggest if you load 45 and 9mm buy the casefeeder with the large pistol plate. it'll serve both those calibres just fine. I use a large plate for 9mm and 38 super no problem.

changing the case feed parts is easy. I've not done the primer change from large to small on a 550 but on a 650 it's:

remove primer assembly. replace primer magazine with other size. remove primer punch from machine and replace with other size. dissasemble primer assembly to replace primer disc with other size.

you can buy a quick change which is essentially a whole other primer setup. then it's just swapping the whole unit over and the punch. that makes it more like a 2-5min job instead of 5-10min.

It's really only the case feed parts that add extra time over a 550 and they are super easy to change.

Great. Thanks for the confirmation!

I don't doubt it which is why I bought it.

I just can't justify running right now for the amount I reload but you can surely buy it without the case feeder which then at that point, I guess you should just get the 550.

Or buy the 650 now and add the case feeder next payday.

That's what I recommended as well. And actually, that's what I did. Bought the 650 and what I needed to get going, then bought the "mandatory" case feeder about a week or two later. Still have yet to use it and have no plans to use it any time soon.