Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$700-$900 to spend on glass, which one?

A5H556

I'm making the switch from Factory/Limited to Practical/Tacops. I've got $700-$900 ($900 is stretching it) to spend on glass for my rifle. I'm in GA and both matches I currently shoot max out @ 100yds, so probably not a huge difference between 4X and 6X on the top end. Then again, because of bay-style/shoothouse layouts, there are plenty of targets inside 10yds so a true 1X and generous eyebox are important.

I'd prefer to get more bang for my buck buying used if possible. 13 years in the industry (mostly on the "tactical" side of things) has me biased towards Leupold, Trijicon, or Nightforce. As much as I love my Aimpoints and that blistering bright dot, battery life doesn't carry over so well in the Low Power Variables yet and so I'm thinking I want a bold black reticle.

Initially I'm thinking the Nightforce 1-4 with FC-2. Not daylight bright, but black reticle should be bold enough. Basic 2/4/6 holdovers (center, top of triangle, bottom of triangle). Durability is certainly there.

For Leupold, maybe the CMR VX-6 if I can find one, or buy a cheap used Duplex VX-6 and pay Leupold for the reticle upgrade.

Local shop has the 1-4 Accupower for $650 and that's also got a bold, segmented circle reticle.

Thoughts or ideas before I pull the trigger? In addition to a gaming rifle, I'd also like the optic to be "duty rated" so that has me scared off of the Burris (seen lots of turret and reticle issues with them over the years).

Thanks guys!

If you are pretty much going to only shoot out to 100 yds with it I'd suggest that you can spend a lot less on a scope and do just as well as if you had one of the high dollar Vortex scopes. Try to look at everything that the other people at the matches are shooting and pick from what you like best.

Unless the stage is mostly skinny sammies, at 100 yards and under I find that field of view trumps any benefit of magnification.

Is it magnification that's pushing you to switch divisions, or magazine restrictions?

The Burris or SWFA would be my gateway into practical/tacops. I know you've seen some turret issues, but it's been my experience that Burris customer service is amazing when it comes to their products.

Unless the stage is mostly skinny sammies, at 100 yards and under I find that field of view trumps any benefit of magnification.

Is it magnification that's pushing you to switch divisions, or magazine restrictions?

The Burris or SWFA would be my gateway into practical/tacops. I know you've seen some turret issues, but it's been my experience that Burris customer service is amazing when it comes to their products.

Shotgun mag capacity is driving the switch for the most part. Our local 3gn matches are very shotgun heavy. Last match I shot over 100 shotgun rounds, 75 pistol rounds, and 15 rifle rounds. With stages like that, being a Factory shooter just doesn't work so well. I guess I was figuring that if I was going to be shooting Practical then I might as well have the option of magnification on the rifle. Beyond that, if I decide to go to a major then I will be shooting further and again the magnification will be a good thing.

Burris is cracking out some damn fine optics these days. I run the XTR II 1.5-8x28 on my 3 gun rifles. It's a front focal plain, BDC reticle, daylight bright illumination, 34mm tube.

The XTR II 1-5 is a 30mm tube, and also an excellent optic. The BDC reticle on these optics is perfect for 3 gun. One of the best reticles out there for the game.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-1-5x24mm

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-1.5-8x28mm

These scope are $800 and $1000 respectively.

Edited by Birddog6424

Burris is cracking out some damn fine optics these days. I run the XTR II 1.5-8x28 on my 3 gun rifles. It's a front focal plain, BDC reticle, daylight bright illumination, 34mm tube.

The XTR II 1-5 is a 30mm tube, and also an excellent optic. The BDC reticle on these optics is perfect for 3 gun. One of the best reticles out there for the game.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-1-5x24mm

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-1.5-8x28mm

These scope are $800 and $1000 respectively. But Burris is running a $100 rebate on the XTR II right now, or your choice of free rings.

The rebate I'm seeing is only for XTRII's that are 2-10X at the bottom. Is there one specific for the 1-5?

These scope are $800 and $1000 respectively. But Burris is running a $100 rebate on the XTR II right now, or your choice of free rings.

The rebate I'm seeing is only for XTRII's that are 2-10X at the bottom. Is there one specific for the 1-5?

Sorry, you are right. :(

I'll edit my above post.

Vortex PST 1-4:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQb-aLJSxBP-BONkEDCIfV3bAKBIn0Ez0pITpUy_YhG6lUyiPtd

EDIT: dang, I thought I could close in pics between the img tags and they would come up as actual pics. Just do a google image search for "Vortex PST 1-4" and you will see what I am talking about. You can also google image search "Vortex PST 1-4 reticle". I think you will see plenty of pics of what they call their TMCQ reticle. It is a segmented doughnut reticle that lights up.

Edited by Chills1994

If you are only shooting 100yd, then consider this... You are most likely to only shoot at two powers - min and max. Not much reason to fool around going to a mid range power. If the upper end of your range is 6x, then you may be at too high a power for 100yd because your FOV may be too restricted. Depends a lot on your targets.

For 100yd, you might be better off with some kind or red dot by itself or with a flip out magnifier. Again, depends on the targets and on your shooting style.

Inside of 100 yd I would suggest an Eotech if you want glass or just plain irons. The Eotech reticle is just silly fast for paper close up. We do 22 steel matches at a cowboy action range, big close targets. Having that big 65 moa circle is a huge advantage compared to a dot only style reticle like an Aimpoint for quick transitions.

I have a Burris XTRII and its great close in at 1x as well. The horseshoe is super bright and fast compared to illuminated dot only reticles. I got the 1-5 to hit targets out to 500 though. If you go with the Burris you won't be disappointed, but there may be other options that better fill your 1-100yd only role.

100 yards MAX? Irons or red dot.

^^this.

No reason you can't shoot in practical with a non-magnified optic.

For magnified, I've been very happy with my Vortex Viper PST 1-4. Though if I didn't already have that I'd look hard at the Burris XTRII 1-5.

as I understand it the only differences between 3gn limited and 3gn scope tac are:

Rifle mag big sticks

You get to fill your pistol mags

Magnified optic on rifle

You can run a bigger tube on the shotgun

For matches limited to 100 yard bays I would just shoot my limited rifle in scope tac, and fill my pistol mags. Put on a pecker pole tube if you like. Spend the $900 on going to a match with longer stages or on another 650.

If it is the only place you shoot and the rounds are limited that much, I would by a Primary Arms dot. I have had 3 of them and 100 yard head shots are very doable. $120 for the dot, mine has held up very well. If you need magnification, pick up a Mueller 1 x 4 Speed Shot for around $205. It is a single dot with magnification and is daylight bright. Then spend the extra on ammo.