Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder and Primer storage - what do you do?

7kings

Just to test the Myth that smokeless propellant will blow up I set fire to two pounds of rifle powder while it was still in the cans....there was no explosion only a high pitch squeal from the gas as it exited the hole in the can. All in all very uneventful but an interesting experiment and method of disposing of powder which has gone bad in the can. I have another 18lbs of 4350 that has gone rusty in the cans and will probably use that as lawn fertiliser.

An old non-functional refrigerator with magnetic door seals works well as a flammables cabinet. The magnetic door seals will not hold enough pressure before releasing for an explosion.

This is a great idea!

Have been to a few fires and it's not too often a fridge or freezer gets hot enough inside that I think it would have ignited powder in it. It happens but is pretty rare in run of the mill house fires.

Looks like I just found a new use for that unused chest freezer in my garage.

Just to test the Myth that smokeless propellant will blow up I set fire to two pounds of rifle powder while it was still in the cans....there was no explosion only a high pitch squeal from the gas as it exited the hole in the can. All in all very uneventful but an interesting experiment and method of disposing of powder which has gone bad in the can. I have another 18lbs of 4350 that has gone rusty in the cans and will probably use that as lawn fertiliser.

Your test method is a bit flawed amigo.

Flashover in a structure fire happens near 1200 degrees.

I'm not a UL/ NIST scientist, but I think preheating the hell out of that powder before ignition might yield a different response.

Not making it into something it's not, I'm no safety patrol nerd, but a lot of powder is something we should take seriously.