Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dohhhh - Used The Wrong Shellplate

I just sized/trimmed a batch of .223 Remington brass on my 650 using the wrong shellplate; I inadvertently left the #5 (9mm) shellplate in place instead of switching to the correct #3 shellplate. The process seemed to run just fine. Is there any reason to be concerned about the processed brass? Should I just pitch it? Load some up and see if it runs? Practice only?

.223 is a touch smaller than 9mm. The .223 will fit. The shellplate is there to hold the brass centered and to hold the brass when pulling it out of the dies. There should be no diff on OAL etc.

I checked a handful of cases for headspace (length to shoulder) and they seem a tad shorter on average than I would expect... maybe 2-3 thou undersized. As such, I may be flirting with case head separation using this brass. Maybe the #5 shellplate is thicker? I think I might quarantine the questionable brass and prep some fresh for comparison. Maybe someone with a short chamber can use the short brass.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

How are you measuring the headspace? You need to use a Wilson gauge. If you're still short just crank down the sizer a little. Are you using a full length die? Will this be fired in an A/R or bolt gun?

How are you measuring the headspace? You need to use a Wilson gauge. If you're still short just crank down the sizer a little. Are you using a full length die? Will this be fired in an A/R or bolt gun?

UPDATE: I measured 50 pcs of each batch of brass (#3 and #5 shellplate) for length-to-shoulder using an RCBS Micrometer Gage. Bottom line: no significant difference. The rims look good, and I see no obvious evidence of other deviations. I'll load some up and see if it runs OK.

What lube did you use? Folks that stick cases using the correct shell plate might want to know.

Home-made version of Dillon lube (lanolin dissolved in 99% isopropanol). Works great... way better than OneStuck :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

So does this mean I can save money and only buy the 9mm conversion kit, yet load both 9mm and .223 with it? It works great for .45ACP and .308!

Almost, but you still need the case feeder adapter (the 9mm version won't work).

Just thinking out loud here...

The shell plate lines up the brass with the die, but with a necked case, you shouldn't have to be as precise about the measurement since the neck will go in and the brass will shift slightly to line itself up. With pistol ammo, the alignment has to be more precise or the top of the brass will hit on the edge of the die.f

Other than that, I don't think there is any difference.

Edited by Graham Smith

I did the same thing once. Loaded up a couple hundred rounds that way. Only problem I had, was while seating Rem 7 1/2 primers the case would pop out of the shell plate occasionally. Other than that, no problems loading or shooting them . The dies keep the case aligned during the loading process and the base of the press determine the OAL, not the shell plate