Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun shotgun for an 11year old

rescue6

My 11y/o wants to start 3 gun. Looking to get him a shotgun that will work. 20g or 12g just needs to be light enough for a small 11year old. I can't afford an M2 for him or I would. Building a lightweight short Ar already. Then got to get a 9mm that will fit his hand. Thanks for your help

I bought a Stoeger 3020 for my kids to use. We are still not competing but I have shot it a little and it is a nice gun. The Nordic Benelli Nova 20 ga extension will fit. It is under 6 pounds and I will have to cut the stock down some day. They do make a compact but I had not found one.

youth model 870, cut the stock down and put a limbsaver recoil pad and fiber optic front sight. You can can about an inch or so off and save it and reattach as he grows. You can hog out the port a little bit. It will do everything he needs for a while. Get a good set of extended chokes and use the choke to make up some of the difference in power /// shot capacity with the 20. It will work great.

Couple of weeks ago one of the guys that shoots with us a lot brought his daughter out and she's 11, and she was able to hang with us and shot a 1301 21" with a 10 shot tube. 1301 has a lot going for it as a small framed person and started gun the adjustable length of pull from 13.5-14.5" makes it ideal to 'grow' with a shooter and it has a really good reputation so far as an out of the box runner. Plus all you need to get it all the way in the game is a tube and some chokes, the loading port work is subjective as to whether or not you need it. I bought one based almost entirely on how I saw that young lady shooting it, being sub 100lbs and using lighter dove/skeet loads and it ran all weekend (our state 3-gun match) without a single malf. And I've also been wanting a back up for the Versamax that I didn't have to put all that work into to get in the game.

Another vote for the 1301. The guns not too heavy, 21" barrel for balance and is very reliable with light loads. Plus can be set up with a short length of pull without needing a gunsmith.

It matters a lot how large your 11 year old is I mentioned the 1187 youth 20 or 12ga earlier thinking about a small 11year old. But my daughter went with the 1301 also when she was 12 and it's been great. She was a bit bigger then most and loves recoil

Youtube Madalyn Stewart to see a petite 11ish year old girl kick ass with a 1301. I've squadded with her before, I don't think she has the muscle mass to drive it like a 200lb dude but she doesn't seem to have any problems.

We had him try a Versamax comp and it was too heavy,he also tried an 870 20g and a 12g both bantam models but not a fan,Tried a moss berg 590A1 and wasn't strong enough to work the action very well. Wr are now in search of a 1301 and a M3k to try next. But hey he is having fun shooting so that is what really matters

We had him try a Versamax comp and it was too heavy,he also tried an 870 20g and a 12g both bantam models but not a fan,Tried a moss berg 590A1 and wasn't strong enough to work the action very well. Wr are now in search of a 1301 and a M3k to try next. But hey he is having fun shooting so that is what really matters

Good luck with your search. I went through the same project a few years ago. We tried everything available then. I wish the M3k was available.... But he settled on an M2 12ga. So I just made it happen. He has been very happy ever since. Even plugs it & shoots it when we duck hunt.

If you want to try another pump gun, try the Supernova. Soft shooting, huge port, easy to operate as it unlocks itself after firing. My favorite SG to shoot, even if I am faster with my 712.

We have narrowed it down to the 1301 and the M3000 or 3020. Waiting to hear back from MOA precision about doing an M3000. I am excited to get this little guy going

If it helps, I just took my new 1301 out this weekend and after 50 rounds of 1 1/8oz 1250fps to get the kinks out I then ran 150 rounds 1oz 1180fps without any issues, which might be good for a smaller framed person. Then put a grab bag of shells through it to see what all it would run consistently and the only thing I could find that would give it trouble was some low recoil 1oz 1060fps that I have on hand for my over/under. Here's the grab bag and the Winchester is the 1oz stuff that I ran 150 of.

post-40105-0-77916200-1436213032_thumb.j