Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge cracked barrel with 1700 rounds through it

It's hard to tell from pics, but I don't think that those are "cracks", per se. That is a common location for peen marks to develop from the barrel seating into the vertical impact surface of the frame during the firing cycle. A good 1911 gunsmith can check it to determine if this impact surface is too far forward.

I had the exact same thing happen on my STI Trojan. STI Warranty department told me it was 'normal' and I should just cut that piece out.

I don't believe it. The same thing happened to my buddy on his Trojan, and the barrel lug just broke off.

I traded emails with STI today. They did indeed tell me that this area was material that was meant to be removed but wasn't. They indicated that I could remove the tag that was left and smoothed out if I desired. They indicated that this was not a functional issue. I asked them if they could supply a picture as to what it was supposed to look like.They did and it is shown below.

post-26632-0-33350600-1435689657_thumb.j

They charge how much for a gun and that is called quality control. I would guess if it finally breaks that STI will stand behind it , just hope it does not break after you have spent $500 for your match fee, motel, travel and food, then can't finish the match. I don't believe that you would be reimbursed for those costs. Good luck, I am sure that STI will do the right thing.

Yeah, I'm a bit dumbfounded myself. I have no idea how something this blatant could have made it through their QC. I mic'ed the area - the cut area is .140" wide and the thickness of the "tang" is .015". It's hard to tell from the picture of the proper cut what height the cut should be. It's also disconcerting to me as to what the area will look like if I break off the tag as suggested. Obviously I'd come back and clean it up with a file and polish the area, but I really wish I had easy access to an end mill to do it right.

I really would like to have STI do this, but I'm right in the heart of competition season with no limited gun back up. Guess I'll have to call them and see if I can push them for a quick turn...

• 2 weeks later...

So they meant to remove it and forgot? Then tell you to fix it ? Wow!

STI would take care if it if you send it to them, but with no back up gun, the guy can't shoot.

Really not a big deal, STI is great and they will fix it, but they also are aware not everyone has a back up gun.

Things happen, this is not a big deal IMO, 5 minutes with a file and a dremel and it is done, takes longer to drive to the Post Office.