Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving Up Range Technique Help

Smitty79

I finally got tired of being afraid every time I come to a stage where I have to move up range between shooting positions. My original USPSA safety class, and many videos, demonstrated gun over weak shoulder and trailing gun, but I've never practiced it.

I've added a drill to dry fire to practice this transition. I start at P1, P2 or P3, draw and engage the target directly ahead of me (2 rounds), then move to P4 and engage all 3 targets with 2 rounds each. P4 is 6 yards from the target wall. That's all the space I have.

I've read that some people prefer over the shoulder or trailing the gun in most cases. In the one session I've done, it seems like the technique that works best is the one that has me turn the least. For example, the best way to engage this drill, for a right handed person, from T1 would be to retreat from T1 with the gun over the left shoulder and then engage the array of 3 from right to left. If starting from P3, trail the gun and shoot from P4 from left to right.

I also found that I don't have a good way to do the entry at P4. Does anyone have a good video for how to do and entry from down range and turning to fire?

retreat_zps50xjif5e.jpg

Ill see if I can find any video, but I find it much easier to get ready to fire if I do the "gun over my weak shoulder" method. As I'm getting into my final position, I can start to re-grip the gun and be ready to fire. If i hold it behind me when I run, it takes longer to turn my body and the find the gun with the weak hand before firing. A lot of it will depend on which way im moving thru the stage too. Im right handed and if im moving to the right or straight back (in your example from P1/P2 to P4, ill go over my left shoulder with the gun. If Im doing it from P3 to P4, id likely hold the gun back behind me while i moved back and left.

The only way to know for sure what works for you is try them both a few times on the timer and see which is faster/more comfortable.

Are you relatively new to the sport? I help mentor new shooters at cactus combat match club in AZ. This is an exercise I tell new shooter to practice at home.

Set up 2 tables(you can use 4chairs set up in pairs) 3ft apart and use an unload gun, keep it pointed at the wall in front and make figure 8s going in both direction around the tables. Remember to keep finger out of trigger guard and with practice you shouldn't break the 180 and comfortably move up range with gun over the shoulder and trailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you relatively new to the sport? I help mentor new shooters at cactus combat match club in AZ. This is an exercise I tell new shooter to practice at home.

Set up 2 tables(you can use 4chairs set up in pairs) 3ft apart and use an unload gun, keep it pointed at the wall in front and make figure 8s going in both direction around the tables. Remember to keep finger out of trigger guard and with practice you shouldn't break the 180 and comfortably move up range with gun over the shoulder and trailing.

Thanks. I guess I'm new. I've been shooting action matches for about 2 years. But I've only been actively trying to improve for about 7 months. I think I can do this in my garage using my trash can and my recycle can.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's too far for ( more than just a few steps) to back up, then I usually do the trailing gun method, Being sure to keep finger out of the trigger guard and be conscious of muzzle direction.

one bonus tip here, when running ( assuming your right handed).. left to right on a stage turn your palm towards the ground this prevents you from accidentally breaking the 180.

If it's too far for ( more than just a few steps) to back up, then I usually do the trailing gun method, Being sure to keep finger out of the trigger guard and be conscious of muzzle direction.

one bonus tip here, when running ( assuming your right handed).. left to right on a stage turn your palm towards the ground this prevents you from accidentally breaking the 180.

This is what I do, and keep my palm pointed toward the ground. It feels like the safest method for me.

I conjecture that shooters who are broader in the chest tend to like to trail the gun, whereas those who are more slender will often prefer to cross it over.

I certainly prefer the trailing gun method if I'm truly moving straight uprange, with the gun turned almost upside down. Try this: put your arm behind you, elbow straight (as though you're trailing a gun), with your palm vertical, thumb on top. Now swing it forward... see how easily it crosses over to your left (if you're right-handed). Now put your arm behind you, elbow straight, but this time rotate your thumb down to the ground, with your palm vertical but facing the opposite of the first trial. Now try to swing your arm forward... notice the tightness in your shoulder and how much less quickly/easily it crosses over? I think that makes it easier when you get to your new, uprange firing position to turn back to the gun, rather than turning the gun uprange.

I conjecture that shooters who are broader in the chest tend to like to trail the gun, whereas those who are more slender will often prefer to cross it over.

I certainly prefer the trailing gun method if I'm truly moving straight uprange, with the gun turned almost upside down.

For me trailing the gun and crossing over the shoulder have different applications that cannot be interchanged.

Im right handed. If the scenario requires me to turn to the right to run uprange I cross the gun over my left shoulder as I turn then run. If I need to turn to my left then run uprange The gun trails me as I turn to my left and run.

Its not a matter of preference for me.

For me trailing the gun and crossing over the shoulder have different applications that cannot be interchanged.

Im right handed. If the scenario requires me to turn to the right to run uprange I cross the gun over my left shoulder as I turn then run. If I need to turn to my left then run uprange The gun trails me as I turn to my left and run.

+1

That said, if I have a choice I'll pick the stage plan that lets me trail the gun behind me.

I am going to give your drill a go. Thank you! Always looking for variety. :cheers:

I find that some stages really require one or the other, but sometimes the shooter truly has a choice. For instance, a couple of weeks ago, I shot a stage with a horseshoe-shaped shooting area. You started at the tip of one leg, moved downrange to the crossing portion, moved laterally, then moved back uprange. You had your choice as to which leg to start on, so you could turn left or right to move uprange, depending on which order you shot the stage in. The desire to be able to trail the gun, rather than cross it over, informed my decision on where to start.

I've been dry firing the set up, I have above, a bunch. For me, I think which technique I use is controlled most by direction of travel. If I need to move in a direction, I want the gun the other way. Up range and to the left side of the range means trail the gun in my right hand. Next it depends on where the next target is. Having the gun pointed in the right direction, when you get there is good. If those are "agnostic", I put it over the shoulder so that the gun is up closer to the sight line. If I start at P2 and need to shoot T2 from P4, over the shoulder is a couple tenths faster.