Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up 9mm 2011 mags

So about to order a my first 9mm 2011 for 3-gun, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to set the mags up. I could really use some help here.

2011 I am buying is a CK Arms, and they use KKM barrels (if that matters).

I like the idea of a longer tube with a small basepad over a standard tube with a large basepad.

You don't need big sticks for 3 gun. Get some 140's with 7mm TT pads and you will have 23 in the mag. You could just get MBX mags which will be set up already and won't need spacers. With standard sti tubes labeled as 9/38 you need 9mm followers and spacers to get the best reliability in 9mm.

suggest you just start with stock sti 140's (with spacers for 9mm). chances are they will work perfectly fine. if not, or if you want a little add'l capacity, dawson has the extended aluminum base pads and you can get grams spring/follower kits. i'll have both varieties at the next 2g match and you're welcome to check them out. fyi my bil uses the stockers with his ck 9mm with no issues.

You don't need big sticks for 3 gun. Get some 140's with 7mm TT pads and you will have 23 in the mag. You could just get MBX mags which will be set up already and won't need spacers. With standard sti tubes labeled as 9/38 you need 9mm followers and spacers to get the best reliability in 9mm.

Yeah I know I don't need big sticks, but I am coming from an XDm so to get 140s my only option is a big basepad. My preference is a long tube with a thin basepad - I seem to maneuver them better with my weird small palm/long finger hands.

Edited by Iggy42

Yeah I know I don't need big sticks, but I am coming from an XDm so to get 140s my only option is a big basepad. My preference is a long tube with a thin basepad - I seem to maneuver them better with my weird small palm/long finger hands.

2011 big sticks are pretty unwieldy if you try to reload with them. There really is nothing huge like the XDM base pads for STI mags.

TTI 4G2 base pads are slim and will give you 24 rounds in STI 140 tubes with 11 coil springs and Grams followers. Standard base pads = 20 or 21 rounds. If you get extra capacity base pads, you need to get 170mm spacers and cut them down.

I would order a couple stock STI 140's to use at first. My reasoning is if you have issues getting the gun running reliably, you're not trying to figure out gun, mag etc. After the gun can run without issues, then modify the mags as everyone else suggests, all have given a lot of good input.

one more vote for stock STI 140's You can change the base pads to TTI's Its all you need for 3 gun. You don't need mags tuned to the ragged edge that hold 23 or more rounds for 3 gun. 170's are not allowed in parctical/tac ops anyway. I prefer my slide to lock back on an empty mag for 3 gun and stock mags help with that.