Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major Primer Question

wblacksh

Hi. I need some help figuring out if I have a primer issue, or a spring issue. About 1 in 400 or so rounds has a light primer strike. It is a smaller indentation on the primer, and always fires if I load try to fire the round a second time.

The gun is a STI Trubor. I installed a Brazos trigger group in it and the trigger pull is right at 2.5 pounds. I am using the stock main spring that came on the gun still. I didn't have this issue before I installed the trigger group. I did it to lighten and smooth out the pull. I knew before I did this that I may have a light primer strike issue to work through. I am using CCI Small Rifle Primers and Winchester Small Rifle Primers. Both brands work almost all the time, but that 1 out of 400 is too much for me. I don't want to loose a second of two in a match because the gun doesn't go bang.

I was expecting that if I had a light primer strike issue it would be more prevalent. Is it possible that the new trigger group I installed is sprung right on the edge of not being strong enough on the hammer? Or should I switch to Federal primers as those are softer? I have the main spring that came with the trigger group that I could cut down as it seems too long, and see if that helps.

I use the 2 brands of primers I listed because I can get them local and don't have to pay a haz-mat fee on top of shipping.

This is the only issue that is keeping my setup from running 100%.

I don't think it is an issue with seating the primers all the way, because I am very careful when loading, and check them all when chamber checking. That being said, I have only been loading my own ammo for about 3000 rounds since I started in February, so there could be something I am not catching.

I am planning on shooting my open setup in a match in Tampa tomorrow so I will plan to react quick if I get a click instead of a bang :).

Thanks,

-Wayne

Hello: High primers. You need to check for high primers. I chamber check my reloads then put them in a MTM 100 round case. I run my finger over the back of the ammo to see if there are any high primers. You can also look at them while you are doing this. I load on a RL1050 so I never get a high primer but when I did load on a 550 or square deal B I would find the odd one. Thanks, Eric

How far out are we talking for a high primer? I checked over about 600 rounds I have made up last night and all of them are flush if not a little further in than flush ( maybe that is just a good batch though). I ordered the firing pin as listed. I didn't make it to the match today so I will have to wait until next week to try again.

Thanks for all the info.

Put the mainspring in that came with the trigger group. It is a 17lb and is actually heavier than the spring that comes stock in the Trubor. The components in the trigger group are matched to work together. It would not hurt to make sure your primers are not high also.

Hello: I would listen to Bob since it is his trigger group you installed. He sells the kit so just install all of the kit so it works like it should. Cutting the spring will not do anything for the spring rate, it stays the same. Thanks, Eric

Whenever primer seating depth factors-in in my guns I take it as a sign that my fire control setting is the problem.

Notice that reliable guns donot have issues on primer seating depth. Any gun to be reliable should have ample tolerance for such reloading errors. It should not be finicky to such degree. Unless its with grossly defectively reloaded ammo.

My 2011 has 17# of hammer spring. Whenever I use 15# it wont reliably fire some of my reloads. Most will say its primer seating depth is not optimal. I cannot buy such crap bcoz obviously the culprit is the 15# spring.

Same thing with my Glocks. Replace oem striker spring with lighter spring say 4 or 3# and it begins to misfire intermittently. If Im using the same reloaded ammo as before with the same components, its illogical for me to think its a primer seating depth problem.

I guess I should have measured my current firing pin first. The new one came in and it slightly shorter than the one I am currently using. I put the other main spring that came with the kit and will see how that goes.

Thanks.

I run a 650 and got a little lazy with the primer seating push on a batch the other day. If the case wobbles when you stand it up the primers not in far enough. I had to put a dozn back in and seat them all the way on that batch. That being said I havent had any failure to ignite. I run a 19 lb mainspring with a standard firing pin.