Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Bloom

Bury the end inside the sight channel.

When putting in the fiber, secure the slide in a padded clamp, and feed the fiber in from the muzzle end so that the free end is just a bit through the back side of the FS. Heat the end and, just as it begins to melt (might take a couple tries), pull the fiber forward so that the melted/expanded end wedges into the sight channel. Then cut and bloom the front end.

The dot will be smaller and less distracting from the proper alignment of the top of the FS even with the top of the rear blade, but still easy to pick up.

Edited by kevin c

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I particularly like the Dawson front sights because they drill a recess in the sight so that the melted part you see is recessed in a hole. Makes for a much sharper dot IMO.

I have Dawson front and rear on my MPs. Still if I shoot facing direct sun light (even with baseball cap blocking most of the light), I would shoot 1-2'' high, vs. regular lightening condition.

Yes my Dawson front sight has the recess where the FO was melted into the hole.

Just to add - this is at 20 yards distance.

Edited by MilkMyDuds

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As other have said, try both switching to a green rod and melt the rod so the end toward you sits a bit into the front sight. I did this to one of my guns and after it was passed around among friends, I had to change the rod in about 10 more guns. It seemed to be everyones favorite and helped with the bloom, especially on very sunny days.

Adam

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hop,

Blue or Purple...? Really?

(I ask questions like this not because I really question the suggestion, but rather because I am interested in knowing the reasoning too. Sam has schooled me on more than one occasion shooting a 625 vs. my "bottom-feeder".)

• 2 weeks later...

I just set my FIL with a green. I have tried green without much luck.

As far as the bloom. I like a mid sized dot and it takes a few tries to get it right. He has a Dawson front sight on his and when I installed the green I made it a little larger than the recess. It was like night and day for him but he is old.