Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting lost in stages / having to think too much about where to go.

LeviSS

Get a book on visualization, and dedicate time to practice at home each day. If you can't create what you want to do in your mind beforehand, it probably won't happen.

Can you suggest one? I've read your book, but probably need to re-read it.
With Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham. Covers visualization and every other aspect of the mental game ....

Great. I just bought this book a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna start it when I finish "The Gun"... Only 20 pages or so left.

• 1 year later...

Saul Kirsch has some great books that explain things in a simple manner and are easy to comprehend; Brian's book is great but I would not recommend for a new shooter, too deep.

Google Saul and his website should come up, his books are fairly inexpensive and on amazon, "Think Practical Shooting" and "Perfect Practice", can't go wrong with these if you apply what he shows you..

• 1 year later...
On 6/19/2015 at 8:21 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Do you close your eyes for a few minutes leading up to your turn and visualize your run from start to finish at exactly the realistic pace you'd like to run it? Once you have the entire stage memorized and you've mentally already shot it ten times in the last five minutes, shooting it for real is just like watching a movie you've already seen, you just have to move this time.

Oh yeah... USPSA

what are the tricks and tips to visualize a stage?  This is my current weakest area. 

2 hours ago, johnbu said:

what are the tricks and tips to visualize a stage?  This is my current weakest area. 

google "how to improve visualization skills", then do the exercises you find on the internets.  I don't think there's any secret sauce to it...other than practice. 

On 6/19/2018 at 5:40 PM, johnbu said:

Get to the range early and do your walk through as many times as it takes to get it burned into your head. The more you do it the less time it takes to memorize.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:40 PM, johnbu said:

Mike Seeklander once told me in a class that you are not ready to shoot a stage until you face uprange and shoot the stage in your head without looking at it.  Get your plan and visualize. 

For me if I'm not at the range walking the stages for a minimum of an hour prior to the shooters meeting I got there too late and have some catching up to do.

I want to have an idea of how I'm going to shoot each stage before the match starts.

If I'm still searching for a plan by the time the 5 minute walkthrough starts I might be in trouble. 

I'd love to get to the point where I can show up at a stage and figure it all out in 5 minutes.

Edited by ddc