Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turn the illumination off?

Okay, with the confession that I am still painfully learning my way around actually shooting an AR at distance I have what may be a stupid question. If the stage has mainly long range targets why wouldn't I turn off the illumination on the scope? I am using the subtension lines and not the center dot. The illumination seems to be more of a distraction than anything at that point. Granted I have an XTR II which makes an Aimpoint look dim combined with a tendency for me to think 11 is always the appropriate setting. That might be part of the issue. .

Edited by Neomet

On matches where everything is close, I prefer a Burris MTAC with its donut recticle. For targets under 60 yards I prefer it illuminated. Past 60 yards, the illumination is more of a distraction.

For matches with targets past 100 yards, I prefer a Burris XTR scope. I've found I rarely use the illumination.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I guess the better question would be why do you feel that you need to run the illumination during those situations? ;)

Because by gosh it is there and I paid for it!! :-)

Thanks guys. I guess I had wandered to the right answer after all.

I'll use the illumination on my Vortex Razor 1-6 on paper on close stages. Mayyybe on steel that are 200 yards and closer, and I'm not using the BDC. I find the illumination helps on steel if it is in shadows.

The horseshoe works great on round plates, illumination or not.

The XTR II has OFF settings between each illumination setting... my default would be to run illumination at close range then turn the knob 1-click to shut it off (or dial it down if appropriate). Then again, I am an Aimpoint guy, so very used to fiddling with my knob :surprise:

I ran a Burris XTR for awhile and hardly ever used the illumination. couldn't see it bright enough to make a difference. Got a Vortex Razor and love it. I use the illumination on any stages that have close paper. For mid range steel stages or long range, steel only stages I may or may not use it. Depends on what I see during my sight picture at "Make ready"

The illumination on the XTRII is very bright, like at least twice that of other optics including the XTR.

If I have close paper and long steel, I will set it for the close paper and turn it off for the steel. I usually run it off on most courses though.

I understand if you paid for it damn it you want to use it...but if your scope has a GOOD reticle

the illumination is not needed within 3-gun. (at least not for speed)

For example no illumination...

Edited by P.E. Kelley

But, but, but.... hahaha. Thanks Patrick! The buy it use comment was more an amused observation on the incorrect assumptions noobs (well, at least noobs coming from Open pistol where how bright the dot is determines how good the optic is) will make.

Makes ya wonder what else I may be 180 degrees off on.

edited to add btw, Love the hammer!

Edited by Neomet

But, but, but.... hahaha. Thanks Patrick! The buy it use comment was more an amused observation on the incorrect assumptions noobs (well, at least noobs coming from Open pistol where how bright the dot is determines how good the optic is) will make.

edited to add btw, Love the hammer

That was not directed so much to you as to the many who feel that a "scope it dead to them" without illumination.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

That was not directed so much to you as to the many who feel that a "scope it dead to them" without illumination.

It's a valid question I think. When I first used my MTAC, (which I only consider OK, but it's what I have), I just thought one was supposed to have the illumination on. But one time my kids were screwing with it, killed the battery with me not knowing before a match, and I haven't turned it on since.

Ahhhhh, still pretty funny the way I read it.

I have a Vortex on my long range rifle and turn the dot on high for up close and very low for long range only because I have crappy eyesight and it helps me find the center consistently. Especially in low light and with dark targets.

On my lightweight hoser rifle I have a PA and have had an M-Tac before. Never turned them on unless it was very dark out and need some contrast. The black outline of the reticle was more than enough.

gerritm

None of my scopes are anything like Swarovski bright. I have an SWFA 1–6x and a Primary Arms 1–6x, and both can manage a sort of brick red glow at at the highest setting if it's not in direct sunlight.

My solution is pretty crazy—I use the illumination when I feel like I need it and I don't use it when I feel I don't. :) I suppose it could be problematic if, say, there was a 1x hosefest in a bay under bright sunlight followed by shooting 400 yard targets in a shaded wood, but in practice that means I set the illumination for the dimmer condition and then don't care about under the brighter condition.