Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

silly large fireballs with 3n38 in 38SC

ano

Just got a new barrel + comp and got hold of some 121gr FP frontier match bullets (very short bullets at .520 length), Loaded up 2 different testloats, OAL to .1.246 with 10 and 10,5gr 3n38 under. both feel the same really, gun is 2 hybrid holes + comp svi 5.5"

Until now I've been shooting 9 major with 8.7gr 3n38 and 124gr RN which say every 5-6 shots has a decent fireball, the supercomp fireball at EVERY shot is just silly!

According to QL, my ammount of propellant burnt in 9mm major is at aprox 87% burned, and 38supercomp at 86-89% .... soooo its weird, its so unsetteling!

sooo any tips? drill another hole? ports are angled a bit forwards toward the comp so not to hit the 90 degree c-more.. what are my options? move to n105 is of course possible but I dont like it much in 9 major, also 3n38 is cheaper and easier to load. Maybe move to a heavier bullet in 38SC?

I tend to love fireballs but this is just a bit too much, even outdoors on a sunny day.

I'm relativly new to open and openguns, but I've been around them and RO'ing enough to know this is a bit over the top.

Edited by ano

3N38 = fireballs

124gr is pretty standard in 39SC, but may not significantly change your load. To me the answer is simply the powder - 3N38 is notorious for fireballs.

I can drop half a grain or more with the 124gr's Guess Ill give it a try.

I know 3n37 and 3n38 do fireballs, but I haven't had very very large ones at every single shot :/

Edited by ano

I get great flames out of my 38 super tanfog v12 BUT only when it's cold or early morning or late afternoon. Middle of the day I might get some flame maybe 1 in 10 shots. I do have 12 small holes though so that may help. I'm running 10.4gn with a 124gn frontier RN CMJ.

With only 2 holes and a 124 pill you should be able to get a nice load right around 10gn or slightly less.

I think the gun config influences it too. It seems to me guns with no holes but big comp chambers (like a trubore) will flame the most.

Not sure what difference it makes but I have 3 hybrid holes in my SV plus comp. I load a 124 jhp over 10g-10.2g 3N38 to 1.235". Some, but not so much in the way of fireballs but they say it is loud.

It's a luck thing based on the number, shape, and location of your comp chambers and any porting holes. Another brand of bullet may travel down your barrel just enough differently to reduce or get rid of the flame balls.

If you settle on another powder, you should have no problem selling your remaining 3n38 unless you live somewhere very remote. If you're in Central FL, I'll buy it. My favorite Open powders are my hoarded Vectan SP2, then 3n38, then HS6. The HS6 really shines with 115 grain bullets.

sooo shot a level 2 match today, it was supersunny and hot, and flames wasnt that troublesome at all, RO's kept their distance to say the least... the rest of the squad was superimpressed with the sound and flames at least :P

Im not worried about getting stuck with powder.

I had 2 major jams with 38SC (it runs 9 major jamfree) so gotto look over that, I was a cheap bastard and used range pickup 38SC for first 2 stages, for the rest I switched both mags and to brand new brass as I had it as a backup and was fault free, as a funfact I had a hole at 9x10mm and one at 9x11mm on closer doubletaps on .11-12 splits.. so guess the comp works, in match today it almost felt like negative recoil, gonna fiddle around with other bullets and 3n38, and n105 and this bullet.

I appreciate input

Edited by ano

Small changes like overall length or crimp or going up 2 tenths in charge may alter the flame ball effect. If you swipe your comp chambers with oil it will for sure keep your comp more clean and might help expel the unburned powder which is the source of the fireballs.

N105 is even louder, shot indoors it can induce heart attacks.

same here....I'm getting those fireball when I'm using my 3N38. I guess it's just pretty common with this powder. I've been using 3N37 now and I've eliminated those but I still like the 3N38 :-)

I don't get fireballs as big as that out of the tanfog but they are impressive thanks to the v shape of the 12 barrel holes. Gives two nice distinct flames in a v. Like a top fuel dragster. What can I say? I'm a child!

Are the flames with closed back bullets or exposed lead on the back of the bullet. The exposed lead backed bullets usually have less flame due to the melting lead on the exposed back. I used complete metal encased bullets which also cuts down on the lead in the comps. All of this comes from the old days, I have not shot open in many years.

The second stage in this video was shot with a 3n38 load, the first stage was shot with my usual 4756 load. I tried diferent primers, loading hotter and softer, different OALs and bullets and could never get rid of the fireballs. Really nice powder but just to distracting for me.

Edited by DRichardson

The second stage in this video was shot with a 3n38 load, the first stage was shot with my usual 4756 load. I tried diferent primers, loading hotter and softer, different OALs and bullets and could never get rid of the fireballs. Really nice powder but just to distracting for me.

http://youtu.be/EmBq-77NH2o

Three cheers for 4756. When shooting 3n38 I found that yes there were fireballs but also I was finding unburned powder residue in the barrel and action, kind of a corn meal looking stuff. I can't say it ever caused a cycling problem but it just looked like it could. I tried different loads and it pretty much remained constant. 3n38 is good but being hard to get I switched to 4756 about 3 or 4 years ago and love it. Now 4756 is discontinued but I think I've got the world market of it cornered, close to 70lbs of it should do me for awhile.