Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new DVC is stamping my brass?!?

awfaxis

While developing loads, I noticed that all my expended brass coming from my new gun has this dent in the bottom.

Doesn't match the ejector, so must be the slide stripping a new round into the chamber. No FTF problems, no bullet smiley's on the next unfired round. What's up with that?

Getting this with 12 lb spring on 180 Xtremes pushing around 940fps, and on some low power 180's at <800 fps. Using a 10 lb spring on the sub-major loads.

Dents.jpg

It is the breech face, on the ejector side, not flush with the rest of it. Fairly common, doesn't hurt anything and doesn't impact reliability or performance. You'd just think that they would check for this and address it before shipping.

Check with STI and see if they'll fix it under warranty.

The mark may make it a PIA to feed into the shell plate on your reloader.

I have a friend who was having a similar problem with an STI. After much consternation I found that the breech face was not cut correctly and had a small area where it was not machined flat . Mark a round with a magic marker with the round showing the mark at the 12:00 o'clock position. Shoot the round and then look where the indent is being caused.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot the Area 1 match this last weekend, and scored 2nd in C Ltd. It was overnighted to STI on Monday, and they said it would be turned around the same day and back in my hands by Friday (today).

I have a match this weekend, and it was worth it to spend on the overnight out. Concerned though, as I haven't received any shipping notice for the return trip, and they closed for the holiday on Thursday.

Ugh good luck! I filed mine flat. No issues with it stamping anymore.

But then again, I'm also going to be getting mine coated soon since that hasn't been done yet and I'm sure you wouldn't want to have to do that.

Edited by MrWallace

Got the slide back yesterday. They sent it Priority Mail (2 day). I spent $80 to overnight it, and it cost STI $8 w/ins to send it back. Oh well, its done, and they replaced the front sight for some reason. Now I have to go sight it in today.

Just looked at a bag of range brass from a recent practice session.

Some of the cases had the mark, but not all - even from the same .45 gun and same batch of reloads.

Hmm.

Never a problem with anything from this gun, ever.

Or the brass from it.

Much ado about nothing, maybe?

Edited by g.willikers

Got the slide back yesterday. They sent it Priority Mail (2 day). I spent $80 to overnight it, and it cost STI $8 w/ins to send it back. Oh well, its done, and they replaced the front sight for some reason. Now I have to go sight it in today.

You should ask for the $80 back since they didn't send it overnight.

They provide a "ship to" normally for customers, but I wanted to make sure they got it in time for me to get it back for the match on the 5th. It all worked out, so I can't complain.

A buddy of mine that just got a .40 DVC Limited gun has the same breach face machining mark. This is sounding more like a CNC programing issue with cutting the slides wrong than a one off issue. STI Quality Control for the WIN....... Not.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Never had this issue but it is not new for STI. Had a buddy whose Trojan did the same thing and he has had that for some time. This drives me nuts and would send it back as unacceptable.