Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-treme 9mm 124 rn TMJ and Titegroup

Seamastersw

Today I tried shooting some 9mm ammo loaded with Titegroup powder. I know Titegroup isn't the best powder for 9mm but I have a bunch of it and figured I would try some out in 9mm.

9mm Xtreme 124 RN TMJ

3.9gr Titegroup

CCI 500 primers

Mixed brass, mostly Speer

1.140" OAL

These rounds had a nice soft puff feel to the recoil but they have horrible accuracy. I fired some ammo with the same components and OAL with the one difference being 5.7 grains of Power Pistol. The Power Pistol loading was far more accurate. What do you think of Titegroup in 9mm? any recommendations?

I mostly like shooting my Glock 19, Glock 26, Sig Sauer P226, and an STI Lawman with the 9mm reloads. What recipe with Titegroup would you recommend with the xtreme 124grain RN TMJ bullet? I have a lot of them left and am curious about your OAL and other experiences with Titegroup powder.

I plan on also making some 45acp ammunition with Titegroup. I have used mostly Bullseye with the 45acp and had good success so far. What load of Titegroup do you guys prefer, 4.6-4.8 grains sound about right?

Try 3.4-3.6 Titegroup with your 124's Xtremes @ 1.12-1.13 OAL. We shoot this out of our Glock 19 & 34 with good results. Soft and accurate. G19 is stock barrel and G34 is a KKM.

gerritm

Today I tried shooting some 9mm ammo loaded with Titegroup powder. I know Titegroup isn't the best powder for 9mm but I have a bunch of it and figured I would try some out in 9mm.

9mm Xtreme 124 RN TMJ

3.9gr Titegroup

CCI 500 primers

1.140" OAL

These rounds had a nice soft puff feel to the recoil but they have horrible accuracy. I fired some ammo with the same components and OAL with the one difference being 5.7 grains of Power Pistol. The Power Pistol loading was far more accurate. What do you think of Titegroup in 9mm? any recommendations?

Have you verified your crimp and chronoed your loads? 4.0g of TG and an Xtreme 124RN @1.130 is a pretty standard load these days. Xtremes are PLATED not TMJ so too aggressive of a crimp will most definitely affect accuracy.

I mostly like shooting my Glock 19, Glock 26, Sig Sauer P226, and an STI Lawman with the 9mm reloads. What recipe with Titegroup would you recommend with the xtreme 124grain RN TMJ bullet? I have a lot of them left and am curious about your OAL and other experiences with Titegroup powder.

I plan on also making some 45acp ammunition with Titegroup. I have used mostly Bullseye with the 45acp and had good success so far. What load of Titegroup do you guys prefer, 4.6-4.8 grains sound about right?

I have not been able to get the accuracy to a reasonable level with extreme bullets in a glock barrel, in other guns they work great. Try bayou bullets instead

Timely thread. I've just switched over to TG and X-treme 124 RN myself (previously using Bullseye/CFE Pistol and Montana Gold 124 CMJ).

I load with mixed brass, Win primers, and aim of for an OAL of 1.148 (I don't want to exceed 1.150). Pistol is M&P Pro 9mm.

TG 3.8 avg 1076 fps, STD 7.4, Max spread of 22

TG 3.7 avg 1036 fps, STD 14.9, Max spread of 45 (no idea why the range opened up on this load)

Haven't done any accuracy testing, but they don't seem any worse than what I was seeing prior. Honestly, in my case it's always the Indian and not the arrow.

I use a lot of TG. 3.8gr with 124 X-Treme HP out of a CZ SP-01 Shadow. Very accurate but you have to watch your crimp. If you over crimp the accuracy will be way off and possibly get some tumbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try 3.4-3.6 Titegroup with your 124's Xtremes @ 1.12-1.13 OAL. We shoot this out of our Glock 19 & 34 with good results. Soft and accurate. G19 is stock barrel and G34 is a KKM.

gerritm

Seconded; same load here.

OP, check your gun's max OAL via plunk test, but in general, the 124gr Xtreme RNs can be run long-ish, even in my CZ...and there's nothing terribly 'wrong' with Titegroup in 9mm, other than it runs a bit hot and dirty. You may be running into issues over-crimping the Xtremes - they claim they're super-thick plated, but it's nothing like an FMJ. Set crimp to 2x case mouth thickness + bullet OD - .001" or so, and try again.

9mm Xtreme 124 RN TMJ

3.9gr Titegroup

CCI 500 primers

1.140" OAL

Just out of curiosity, how are you testing accuracy? Bench rest? At what distance? What were the groups like?

There are a lot of happy customers using TG in 9mm. I run almost exactly the same load as you, 3.9gr with Xtreme 124gr RN, at 1.150-155, and found it just as accurate (if not more) than any factory ammo I use. But I'm just shooting offhand at the range, and in some matches, and I'm probably not a very good shot anyway. I've never tried power pistol, but I've read good things.

Pull a few bullets and make sure you're not over crimping. If they look fine, experiment with different OAL, or maybe +/- a tenth of a grain powder.

Edited by rev1911

Well, did test loads with Xtreme 124 RN Plated, from 3.0 to 4.4 using TG. I found there was a point around 3.7 where accuracy was good and cycled Glock 26, 17 and BabyEagle compact, but a little dirty. I found another good accuracy point at 4.2 that was much cleaner. The "basic" 20 page load manual that came with my Lock and Load entry level press, indicates 4.4 as max for 124g FMJ, so I "assume" that 4.2 is a safe and non-destructive load. No signs of over pressure even in the unsupported BE. 4.2 also seemed to be the sweet point for Precision Delta 124g FMJ. I use a light crimp with a separate crimp die. Winchester small pistol primers. Range pickup brass.

As will all of these topics milage will vary.

Using the 125 Xtreme with 4.1 TG 1.140 OAL , I'm using a LW threaded bbl in the 19 open & suppressed getting good groups. Using 3.8 - 3.9 gave me sluggish cycling too. For the 19, a 10.5 GM QC10 / DDLES glock lower and 16" carbine. The 4.1 has been the most consistent through the platforms we run.

When using xtreme 147 fmj the load is reduced to 3.3gr TG.