Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What ammo weight in Limited Division to use?

ppierceall

! have been shooting 40 S&W - WWB 180 grain but had the chance to try 165 grain and really liked how it felt also freedom munitions has 155 grain. I don't reload and want to know if others are shooting 165 or 155 grain ammo?

Thank you,

180s are most common but some shooters prefer a little lighter bullet and some prefer a little heavier bullet. Its all preference as to what you like and how your gun handles the loads. Just make sure it makes PF and have fun!!

Most use 180gr bullets, but most do not shoot factory ammunition. I have found that most factory 40 is 175PF and above. You are having to deal with a lot more recoil than those who reload.

Out of a stock M&P Pro 40 I was getting 178PF for the WWB 165gr rounds in the 100 packs. Freedoms 180gr remanufactured was 181PF in the same gun. Freedom definitely does not download their ammo so I would think their 155gr reloads would be around 180Pf or above.

You may want to try Atlanta Arms for downloaded ammo that meets PF and will shoot much softer than what you are used to.

FWIW, the last handgun nationals equipment survey results showed 91% for 180-200.gr bullets

Mar/Apr 15 Frontsight.

I was one of the guys using 165s in that survey. I've played with 200s as well.

It definitely changes the sensation of the gun cycling. On a full weight slide I'd be inclined towards using 165s. With something chopped up 180s are nice. 200s are easier to track buy I don't shoot my best times with them.

It sounds weird, but with the sensation I get shooting the 165s is its easier to "hold down" or muscle the gun into submission.

These days I get the 180s cheapest and I can shoot more, so that makes them preferable to me.

I shoot 180 but I really like 200. Availability/price has chosen for me in certain bullet styles. I have fallen to Jeff Cooper's belief that mass beats everything. The biggest stick. Within certain physics rules. I also have fallen to the rumor that John Browning actually designed the 1911 for a 200 grain.

Most use 180gr bullets, but most do not shoot factory ammunition. I have found that most factory 40 is 175PF and above. You deal with more recoil than reloaders.

+1. Flash hit it on the head. :bow: If you're shooting PF 185 -200, you will

feel the difference - much more powerful than you need for action sports.

If you're using factory ammo, the PF will be more influential than the bullet weight.

The lighter the PF, the better.

But, if you can find 168-172 PF factory ammo, the heavier bullet will probably

feel softer to you. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I just started in USPSA with a Sig X5 Match and still playing with various ammo. I haven't gotten into reloading yet but I run Federal 40S&W 180gr HP (Duty Ammo) and its HOT!! The 165 WWB stuff was definately softer but we shall see!

Edited by Blueknight749

I've been shooting 200's for about a year now with 4.2-ish grains of VV N320 pushing them. It's a combination that works pretty well for me. Either the Bayou's or the Blue Bullets. Both seem accurate and feed reliably and the combination of bullet and powder at a 165-170 PF is very manageable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to shoot 200s, then switched to 180s. Recently shot some 165 loads and they were pretty snappy. Felt almost like an open gun. Basically a heavier bullet will give you less felt recoil, but a lighter bullet will give you faster cycling. Regarding power factor and knocking down steel, neither is an issue with 165s. N320 will get you to major with a safe margin at under the max published load. And since all steel is supposed to be calibrated for minor PF, that's a moot point.