Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Source for Plastic Barrels

I'd like to buy about 8 plastic 55 gallon barrels to use as props for training at my home range. I've looking online and even the used ones seem to be going for about $45 each. Does anyone have a good source for these or some advice on where to look? I run an auto shop and I'm up to my eyeballs in steel 55 gallon drums, but the thought of lugging them around the range, or worse, stacking them, doesn't sound like fun. I practice on a private range, but I have to set up and tear down any props/targets I want to use which makes long practice sessions even longer. I'm hoping somebody associated with a club knows where to buy plastic drums or what kind of businesses might have them laying around the way I have steel drums.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rob D

Do you by chance live near a College University? Go by their physical plant building and ask if you can have some of their soap drums...at most universities, the liquid soap for all of their bathrooms comes in 55 gallon plastic drums...I've gotten a few from UF over the years.

Thanks guys. Oklahoma State University is just down the street and I have several customers that work at the physical plant. I'll check that route, and then pursue Craigslist as a backup.

Auto dealers buy soap in drums. One local dealer goes thru one a week. My boiler and water system chemicals come in blue drums, which last years longer than the white ones. Ask all your friends you will find a local source of free drums.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Airlines buy de icer in blue barrels. Car washes buy soap etc in them as well. Commercial laundry facilities have a bunch too

Edited by Sarge