Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best cross trainer for revolver?

I've used airsoft for cross training before but was very discouraged by the durability of the equipment (Western Arms) ,the accuracy of the unrifled barrels and how badly the wind blows the little 6mm plastic BBs. It's like throwing knuckle balls.

I would like to cross train with a rifled barreled .177 CO2 powered revolver. Much more durable and much more accurate at much greater distances. Crosman makes the Vigilante 10 shot revolver for 50 bucks. And Umarex makes a 686 S&W for 270 bucks. Does anyone have any experience with any of the pellet/ CO2 revolvers? Which one actually replicates the trigger pull and weight of a real S&W wheelgun?

I have a complete set of 1/3 scale Steel Challenge targets and would like to start practicing with the .177 to replace 10 cents a round (and hard to find) .22s. The last time that I was able to buy bulk .22s at a Wal-Mart was March of 2013.

No current info for you, but I had an old Crossman pellet revolver back in the day that made a great trainer. It lasted for pushing 20 years before giving up the ghost and it was quite a tack-driver.

Looking around, it would seem the Umarex is more well vetted and probably a more sure bet, but for only $50, it seems like the Crossman might be a no brainer.

Edited by taadski

• 1 month later...

I have a Crosman .357 which is about the same as the one you mentioned.

The Crosman is close enough in feel and operation to a firearm to be useful.

The Crosman is a break top with a rifled barrel and probably isn't as accurate as the more expensive revolvers with swing out cylinder, but it will definitely do for you.

I'm on the second one, having worn out the first, with no plans to get anything else.

But don't worry about the durability, as the first one lasted many years and thousands of pellets.

For $50, it definitely does the job.

Video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cC_X9MiZNY#t=13

Edited by g.willikers