Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm STI edge using 38 magazines?

Ocd666

Hi guys looking at buying a new 9mm edge in Australia they sell them with 38 super magazines say they work with both!

Now I've been looking around at everyone tuning mags etc will a 38 mag work in a 9mm the same as a 9mm mag or will I have heaps of dramas? New to sti and 2011 so don't know a whole lot. I see you can get 9mm followers to suit and a spacer to make it 9mm but would rather not have the hassle.

Thanks

Ocd

If they have the old style SVI mags, they will run both. If not, you will need a separate 9MM follower and an spacer at the back of the mag. That has always been my experience. I know that I have read where some STI mags will run without spacers in SOME guns, but I have never seen it in the wild.

I have also found that I need the 9mm follower and spacer when using my STI 38 super mags in both my limited 9 minor and open 9 major STI framed guns.

This has become an annoyance with a couple of 9s and 38 supers. So I invested in a bunch of SVI mas and now it makes no differance which gun I use as long as I have the SVI mags in the bag.

woof

The 9mm followers are shorter than the 38 super followers on the STI mags. Hence the need for the spacers at the back. I've used 38 super/9mm mags on a Para/Rock Island platform and they work just fine. In the case of the 38/9 mags, it uses a 38 super follower so no spacer is needed but the 9mm rounds sit further back as they are shorter.