Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Health Vitamins

GB3

I started taking Equate Vision Formula 50+ eye health vitamins about 2 months ago and thought my findings might be of interest some folks on this forum.

Back Story:

I'm 30 years old and I noticed my quality of vision declining over the past couple years. It was really bothering me, because I've always had really good vision (20/10). 2 years ago I had a DOT physical and found out my vision had deteriorated to somewhere between 20/15 and 20/20. (I know. Poor me, right) I also noticed that at the end of the day my eyes would be tired and couldn't focus near as well as when they were well rested. I couldn't focus on someone's facial features at 30 yards, it was just a flesh colored blur.

My Findings:

After about a week of taking these vitamins, I noticed my vision improving. It seemed like I could focus quicker, notice fine detail a farther distances and my eyes stopped getting tired at the end of the day. I wasn't sure if these were actual results or just a placebo effect. Then I had my next DOT physical. I expected horrible results, I'm a lineman and I had gotten 2 hours of sleep in the previous 42 hours due to power outages. My vision tested at 20/10! I hadn't been able to read the bottom line so easily since I was in high school!

While I can't guarantee that these vitamins are the only factor for the improvement in my vision, they're the only thing that I can use to explain this phenomenon. At matches I find my focus switching from near to far targets faster and farther targets are in sharper focus. I hope this information helps someone. If anyone has any experience with this subject, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

P.S. I searched this forum every way I could think of and couldn't find a similar thread. Hopefully I didn't copycat a extensive previous threads.

I've always had good vision (20/10). 2 years ago I found out my vision had deteriorated to somewhere between 20/15 and 20/20.

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

Possible that your vision "deteriorated" as part of the ageing process.

Also possible that there was no deterioration since 20/10 is Very

Close to 20/15.

But thanks for sharing the vitamin info - I'm a big believer in vitamins,

and will try some of your experiments myself. At 70 years old, and

both my Father and his Father lost their eyeshight in their 70's, I'm

wide open to anything that might enable me to see well for another

decade. :cheers:

As far as I am aware, there are no studies to show that "eye vitamins" are of help for anything other than slowing certain eye diseases. BUT, there is nothing in them that's going to harm you provided you aren't eating them like peanuts. And if they seem to be helping then more power to you.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vitamins work. Your body needs certain chemicals to work properly. Some we call hormones. Some we call vitamins. Some we call tequila. You get the idea. Your eyes are like any other organic organ. They need hydration. They need electrical impulses to work. They need the metabolic systems to work smoothly. They need energy to function. You see better with well lubricated eyes. You see better if the retina(film of the camera) is kept free of metabolic wastes. Do the eye vitamins work? Yes. But all vitamins and keeping a well balanced diet will work. I always recommend eye vitamins to my patients. Especially those who have a genetic predisposition for macular degeneration or need their best vision, such as a pilot or shooter. Most of the hype on web sites are using a truth in an exaggerated way. Now how much will you pay for it!!?? Take a good quality vitamin. GNC or other reputable sellers will have top grade product.

PS the next time you read an eye chart, blink several times and the tear film will replenish and smooth out. This will give you a better, clearer view.