Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Bill Drill

Onepocket

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Blammo said:

I thought these had to be done from surrender?

Yes they are supposed to be, if you want to do it right. Mine from the other day was kind of a test of what I was doing in dry fire, I had gotten down to about a 1.4 and wanted to see if I could replicate it in live fire. I like to do them from both hand positions in practice so I can work on multiple different grip feelings if I have a bad draw.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have video to prove it but this was my fastest so far. 1.48. Hands were at sides though. Consistency is my problem. When I consciously try to shoot faster I get trigger freeze. Then sometimes I can just let it rip. I had a 1.58 today right before this run.  

IMG_0539.JPG

Edited by Shmella

1 hour ago, GlockGuy1 said:

my draw to 1st shot is still just over 1 second 

I took  a course with a local GM, and he says his aim personally is for

a  consistent  1.25 second draw.   

So, you're doing Very Well - nothing wrong with working on it and trying

to get it down a bit more - but if he's happy with 1.25 sec, then I am

Ecstatic.    :) 

it's funny you mention that. I've heard similar things from GMs before including a vid of TGO where he said he aims for 'consistent 1.5sec reload'.

I guess the key is consistency but I can't help but think sometimes they quote fairly conservative times.

The other thing is what is a draw? is that to a 2 yard open target? or to a 25 yard partial? both are going to have different results if I crank out a .85 draw and first shot followed by a 15 split. 

generally when talking draws I assume we are talking hands by sides to an open target somewhere inside of 10 yards. For me thats a 1 sec or better goal on those. 

look at gooldy's vid running a 100% classifier. He's pulling a sub 0.80 draw and a sub 0.90 reload on both strings. if that's what it takes too run GM level classifier scores then presumably someone figured that's a GM level skill... :)

14 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

it's funny you mention that. I've heard similar things from GMs before including a vid of TGO where he said he aims for 'consistent 1.5sec reload'.

I guess the key is consistency but I can't help but think sometimes they quote fairly conservative times.

The other thing is what is a draw? is that to a 2 yard open target? or to a 25 yard partial? both are going to have different results if I crank out a .85 draw and first shot followed by a 15 split. 

Yeah...assuming about 10 yards, 1.25 draw and 1.5 reload is extremely conservative for GM level ability. Even in matches where I regularly shoot at 80-85% pace I'm still usually faster than those quoted times, and I'm nothing special.

is it possible to train for a faster trigger finger / faster splits?

I'm talking just raw trigger speed with little to no concern for accuracy.   my average split is approx .22   I can on rare occasion get a .19/.18.  prepped trigger reaction time .20.     I know some people are naturally hard wired for fast twitch....

Have i maxed my human potential @ .22?  

Is this speed trainable?

Edited by biglou13
edit

I'm talking just raw trigger speed with little to no concern for accuracy.   my average split is approx .22   I can on rare occasion get a .19/.18.  prepped trigger reaction time .20.     I know some people are naturally hard wired for fast twitch....

Is this speed trainable?

Interesting question as I have the same issue. My splits are always .22. Occasionally. 20..... best bill drill is around 1.85ish..... only because pretty fast draw to first shot. Probably just lucky indexing on the first shot. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I say yes it can be improved. When I was in my early teenage years I played a lot of Paintball (speedball) with hair trigger guns and firing the gun was as easy as a mouse click. You use a two finger technique to press the trigger, once with your index finger and once with your middle finger as fast as you can when playing Speedball. Me and my friends would tap on pens with our fingers or click a mouse as fast as we could to try and hit as many rounds a second as possible. I noticed a huge improvement in finger speed with some practice. So my take is yes you can pull the trigger faster by practicing just that.  

Edited by Shmella

14 hours ago, biglou13 said:

Is this speed trainable?

^

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on raw trigger speed.   

My avg was .22 split

recently got .20  relatively consistent 

my personal best ( fastest split)  was .16 maybe a 2 or 3 times in last few thousand rounds

found myself more than occasionally short stroking trigger, in quest for faster splits

Added the last 2 parts to cz sp01 tactical  to complete pro package.   14m lifter and t2 disconnector  a'la Cajun....... Reach reduction and short reset

today I hit .14 split a couple of times.  Out about 100 rounds today only few outside of A zone @ 5 yards

so so my human limit as posted earier is improving !!!

the mechanical/ shorter reset helped.....  But I also think just relaxing and working raw trigger speed without timer has helped.

It is good to see some progress.   Now to get that .14 consistient or better  ( along with other goats) 

Yeah...assuming about 10 yards, 1.25 draw and 1.5 reload is extremely conservative for GM level ability. Even in matches where I regularly shoot at 80-85% pace I'm still usually faster than those quoted times, and I'm nothing special.

I have always taken that to mean that you could win matches (ala nationals) with those times, assuming the rest of your game was good.

But yes, I consistently will be at or under 1 second draws and under 1.5 second loads in matches, when the opportunity presents itself.

Trying to work bill drills at further distances lately to be more aggressive on longer shots in matches.

Was able to rip 6 alphas at 17 yards in 2.00 pretty consistently.

New goal is 2.0 or under from 20. Tried a few last night and ended with lots of charlies.

50 minutes ago, troupe said:

it takes both to be fast.

I do not agree. In my opinion, being physically relaxed does not make you fast. Having proper body tension combined with an effective grip and stance manages recoil more effectively than the same grip and stance while being relaxed. Better recoil management means less gun/body movement. Less gun/body movement leads to faster shooting and better accuracy at speed. You can still be very fast and accurate while being relaxed, but in my opinion you'll never be maximizing your ability.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

15 hours ago, troupe said:

Relaxation is both physical and mental and it takes both to be fast.  I agree that it comes with experience and proper training.   

Do you mean relaxed prior to the start signal or during actual shooting?

I always felt a little tense and nervous to the point of being a little nauseous at the first stage.  BUT, I always realized that this was normal and part of the process and why I shot - to do something that got me excited.  I was ALWAYS mentally relaxed, even for my first stage, because I knew that I had prepared for the match and that there was not a shot I could not make.  I may not win, but I knew I could make the shots and execute my stage plans.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, quliming said:

Fastest I have seen from USPSA shooter is 1.4 sec. That's making all alpha shots, realistically. There are guys that can shoot cowboy styles in under 1 sec I think.

You new or did you get reset to zero? This is quite the race to 50.