Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Powder for Lead Bullets

tanfoglio1911

I would also like to see some recommendations. It seems the loading data for cast bullets is limited at least I have had trouble finding much data to work with. The limited info I have seen never seems to fit with the bullet weight I want to load. If anyone has a source for reloading data for lead bullets please share.

I have read several "opinions" or recipes that others have used but never anything from a bullet or powder manufacturer. I have 250 180 gr SWC .400" bullets on the bench that need a all expense paid high speed trip to a target.

I never had any luck with lead in the 40. It always smoked like a chimney regardless of lube or powder. I cast my my own, so I was bummin when I couldn't get it figured out. I switched to coated bullets for the 40 to minimize the smoke factor.

Went to the range yesterday and shoot a couple rounds using WSF. I did not chrono and check the PF. I was just checking if it will be smoky or acceptable.

Data:

180gr FP Lead

CCI Primer

1.18 OAL

5.1gr of WSF

STI Edge 40

Not smoky and very acceptable. Accuracy is good. I can recommend to use these powder on a regular lead bullet.

I had good luck with Universal Clays. Only problem is I haven't been able to find any for months and have switched to a coated bullet and Tight GroupCan you

Can you share your data on these Universal Clay powder. thanks.

• 3 months later...

I've shot lead exclusively for the last 3 seasons in my G35 (KKM barrel). I ran home cast Lee 145 SWC for the first two seasons using 4.2 grains of TiteGroup. This season I ran 175 grain Lee TC with 3.4 grains of Bullseye. Neither smoked anymore than plated or FMJ. Its not the powder but the lube you are using which is causing the smoke. High humidity is also a factor that will cause almost anything to smoke. Lee liquid alox lube smokes the worst of any lube I have ever seen. I have a recipe for a home made lube that is the cleanest I have ever used if you lube your own boolits?

I've shot lead exclusively for the last 3 seasons in my G35 (KKM barrel). I ran home cast Lee 145 SWC for the first two seasons using 4.2 grains of TiteGroup. This season I ran 175 grain Lee TC with 3.4 grains of Bullseye. Neither smoked anymore than plated or FMJ. Its not the powder but the lube you are using which is causing the smoke. High humidity is also a factor that will cause almost anything to smoke. Lee liquid alox lube smokes the worst of any lube I have ever seen. I have a recipe for a home made lube that is the cleanest I have ever used if you lube your own boolits?

Bingo! This is one of the reasons I switched to a Hi-TEK coated bullet.

Bingo! This is one of the reasons I switched to a Hi-TEK coated bullet.

Me too. I am in the process of delving into (home) powder coating. Not because of the smoke but lube issues take a long time to understand and remedy. Then after you have figured out a solution you are still left with all of the filth and wax build up in your breach area nooks and crannies to clean. Hopefully these powder coated pills will help in that area ;)

Pre-bake:

411656019.jpg

Post bake:

411656018.jpg

PS, The Pink and Purple pills are my daughters :surprise:

Edited by igolfat8

They are "dry tumble" coated with powdered paint which coats the entire bullet surface. Each bullet is set on its base on NON STICK tin foil and the base bakes just as smoothly as the rest of the bullets exterior surface. Its quite easy to do, especially if I can do it ;)

As stated before, your lube is the biggest culprit. After that, some powders will smoke more than others, especially at lower velocities. For example, Bullseye loaded soft smokes like a train but loaded hot it's much cleaner.

I've been using W231 but I'm finding that WST at the same velocity smokes a little less. E3 seems to be even better.

Also, make sure the lead is soft enough to properly obturate at your pressure level and the bullet is the correct diameter for your barrel. Either being wrong will allow excess gas to bypass the bullet which will cut the lead and smoke like crazy.