Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Must-Have Accessories

I only have a couple thousand rounds into my 550b, but I would add the MBF expander/funnel to the list, for me anyway. I originally got it to help with shaving on .45ACP coated bullets, but now having used it for a while, I find that I load much faster, because I can just drop the bullet in and it sits perfectly 99% of the time, I don't have to take an extra few seconds to fiddle with it and align it before raising the ram.

Also, for those who can't (or don't want to) drill into a workbench, I have been using this mount, and it is working great:

http://www.thec4m3ron.com/mainstore

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for the primer slide plate. I am happy to see that they improved the finish on the gen 2. I bought a gen 1 and when it came in I didn't like the finish. I buffed and polished it and it works great. When I reassembled the primer system with the new plate, I used some graphite powder on top of the plate and it is very smooth. I also like the roller handle. I purchased the 'U' shaped handle for my 550. I looked at others but like the idea of my hand being directly over the bar. Torque is straight up and down instead of off to the side. Don't know if this matters or not but I like it and its much more comfortable than the ball.

++1 on the MBF expander.

Do you guys find the MBF powder funnel makes cases stick more than the Dillon?

I do find that the cases stick a little more than the stock funnel. But not enough to outweigh the benefit.

I do find that the cases stick a little more than the stock funnel. But not enough to outweigh the benefit.

I have issues with cases sticking now, and powder spilling because of it. I think mainly because I use a U-die. Don't think I want to add to the problem.

A Lee U die or standard Lee sizing die is in the first stage of every pistol caliber I load. To solve sticking take a piece of sized brass

and turn the powder funnel down where the case starts on the powder funnel. I used a drill press and sandpaper. Once the brass slips on the funnel

polish with compound. Also clean up the inside of the funnel and polish, stops powder bridging at the funnel.

My machine is thirty years old and has been a trusted friend for a long time and thousands of rounds. It bolted through two pieces of scrap

2x6's one piece sticks out past the bench where my bullet bowl holds bullets. Does have the roller handle, good light and I just installed

the extended primer slide bar with bearing so far I'm pleased with that. Polished the bottom of the primer slide during the install and put a

little powdered graphite on as a lube. Drilled holes through the top board to mount allen T handle wrenched.

Took about half a coil from the bearing spring under the shell plate and polished the bottom of the plate, it's smooth. Try and mount press

level used a lawnmower blade level on mine. Oil the lube holes and use case lube.

I have issues with cases sticking now, and powder spilling because of it. I think mainly because I use a U-die. Don't think I want to add to the problem.

How do you clean your cases? If you are wet cleaning yeah that can be a problem if you don't use case lube. I am using corn cob and crushed walnut in a 50/50 mix with plenty of Nu-Finish. I never get a sticky case at the powder funnel even without lube.

How do you clean your cases? If you are wet cleaning yeah that can be a problem if you don't use case lube. I am using corn cob and crushed walnut in a 50/50 mix with plenty of Nu-Finish. I never get a sticky case at the powder funnel even without lube.

Dry tumble with lizard bedding and a capful of Nu-finish. If I polish the powder funnel with my dremel, the sticking issue goes away for a little while. I also use One Shot lube.

I found that the media needs more than just a cap full of Nu-Finish. I don't think you can over do it and I add it until the media is rife with it. It makes sizing easier, keeps the brass from sticking to the powder funnel, prevents any media dust and reduces cleaning time. Try adding more and see what happens.

+1

Every time I change media - fine grade crushed Walnut hull - I pour a 1/2" wide strip of Nu-Finish around the tumbler in the middle of the media and then let it run for an hour or so. You'll get some dry on the tumbler itself but it will wear off and add to the abrasive as the media is used up.

Anyone have comments on the shellplate bearing kits?

http://www.amazon.com/Shellplate-Bearing-Kit-Dillon-550B/dp/B00HKL32HA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433618653&sr=8-3&keywords=DILLON+550+RELOADING

Loading 9 Major with N-350 results in a full case. The bearing kit with low mass detent ball says it will make movement of the shell plate smoother and result in less powder spillage.

Probably worth it if it works.

My press is pretty much stock but I do use One-Shot lube. Found out long ago that it does make a difference.

Also I plan on adding an Inline Ergo Reloading Handle to save a little wear and tear on my back and shoulder. Somewhere I saw reference to a long handle and a short handle version but see no place that offers two different lengths. Are both available and which is recommended?

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Pretty pointless on a 550, unlike the SD, 650 and 1050 (where the case sits "in" the shell plate) the case rides "under" the shell plate on the 550. All it does is pull it out of the dies, not a lot of point in reducing "wobble".

Your fingers control the speed of the index.

Edited by jmorris

Pretty pointless on a 550, unlike the SD, 650 and 1050 (where the case sits "in" the shell plate) the case rides "under" the shell plate on the 550. All it does is pull it out of the dies, not a lot of point in reducing "wobble".

Its not so much the wobble as the "pop" when the detent ball seats in the shell plate. Its just enough to where it tosses a little powder out of the full case. I can rotate is slowly but sometimes that does not eliminate powder spillage. Eliminating that "pop" was what I hoped would result from the kit.

Also, I contacted Inline about two different length Ergo levers for the Dillon 550. Turns out years ago they offer them with two different offsets. Based on customer reviews, they came up with one that everyone likes and that is the only one offered. Pretty fast response from a company on a Saturday.

Bill

Its not so much the wobble as the "pop" when the detent ball seats in the shell plate. Its just enough to where it tosses a little powder out of the full case. I can rotate is slowly but sometimes that does not eliminate powder spillage. Eliminating that "pop" was what I hoped would result from the kit.

Also, I contacted Inline about two different length Ergo levers for the Dillon 550. Turns out years ago they offer them with two different offsets. Based on customer reviews, they came up with one that everyone likes and that is the only one offered. Pretty fast response from a company on a Saturday.

Bill

To reduce the 'pop' when the ball seats in the shell plate I clipped one coil off the spring under the ball.

Bill

To reduce the 'pop' when the ball seats in the shell plate I clipped one coil off the spring under the ball.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Two things:

- the bearings do help. Smoother helps you move consistently and you can make the big bolt a little tighter, reducing the play in the shell plate. Mine (with bearing) doesn't rock at all but turns like butter. Has to reduce spilling.

- my bearing kit came with a delrin ball to replace the steel ball. Much lower mass so it cuts way down on the impact when it snaps into place. Also reduces spills.

Put a small magnet on the primer drop chute, keep it open and less primers on the floor.

Hmm, not heard this one before and not sure how it works. Magnet just to keep the chute open?

All it does it give a bit of extra weight so the chute pops open as soon as you raise shellplate.

I also forgot to add, get rid of the cotter pin in the primer chute and replace it with a proper pin. I use a 1" x 1/16" roll pin and trimed it down. The cotter pin will bend and cause the primer chute to be stuck.

post-13836-0-39827400-1434080900_thumb.j

Edited by Walnut

Little background on the Dillon Primer Track Bearing Plate, I am the manufacture of the Dillon Primer Track Bearing Plate,

I bought the plate/brg kit last week. Ordered it on the 1st and had it in my hands on the 3rd. Fit & finish are awesome. I 've loaded 1000rds since the install & it is smooth as silk. I don't have an E-Bay account & couldn't find a way to leave positive feedback, so consider this post as Positive. A+

Little background on the Dillon Primer Track Bearing Plate, I am the manufacture of the Dillon Primer Track Bearing Plate,

I bought the plate/brg kit last week. Ordered it on the 1st and had it in my hands on the 3rd. Fit & finish are awesome. I 've loaded 1000rds since the install & it is smooth as silk. I don't have an E-Bay account & couldn't find a way to leave positive feedback, so consider this post as Positive. A+

Thank you, I glad it worked out so well for you, I try really hard to get them sent out the same day I get the order because I know when I order stuff, I want it ASAP!! So I try to extend the same courtesy to my customers. I appreciate you posting that you bought one and you had postive feedback. I have gotten several email from customers with ideas/feedback and take them to heart. I am contantly amazed about how great shooters are to deal with vs the general public. When I get my next set of slides cut out, I have a few tweaks I am going to do to make them better.

JW

Edited by Walnut