Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Must-Have Accessories

Nice thread. I did my best to get set up from the beginning with everything I'd want for new 550. The Bob Chute looks like a good thing. I've had spent primers go everywhere, especially when there's a hang-up in the normal opening and closing operation of the factory chute.

I installed a Mr. Dial this morning since I was in the process of changing over to another powder. I really like it.

I'd like to get primer feeding a little more reliable so I'll be looking into the material on this thread around that.

Once again, an information-rich thread. Such a great forum site.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/15/2015 at 0:25 PM, ChunkyMonkey said:

Yes ~ I would like this as well. Wonder if there is some easy way to set it, without an empty powder measure, to bell the case?

Call Dillon and see if you can buy a powder funnel for the RL450.  This was the funnel prior to the 550 and auto powder drop.  I know you asked this question a long time ago but I didn't see anyone answer you.  

I have a 550B set up with a case feeder and Mr. Bullet Feeder. As well as all of the Walnut primer bar bearing and a bunch of other add-ons from Unique Tek.

At some point, I really should break down and buy a 650 but every time I think about that, I get distracted. Besides, I like the simplicity of the 550, and I've had it for almost ten years and can diagnose anything on it at this point. If I get a 650, I'm starting over, asking tons of questions and getting frustrated. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I have to use a seat/crimp die, but that's never been an issue, so there's that. Works well, and indexing keeps my left arm from falling asleep. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:56 PM, robertg5322 said:

Besides, I like the simplicity of the 550, and I've had it for almost ten years and can diagnose anything on it at this point. If I get a 650, I'm starting over, asking tons of questions and getting frustrated. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Works well, and indexing keeps my left arm from falling asleep. 

Amen!!

I'm totally content with my 550b and could NEVER get rid of it.

58 minutes ago, hdultra said:

Amen!!

I'm totally content with my 550b and could NEVER get rid of it.

I doubt I'd get rid of it, but the I WOULD like a 650. Just too cheap to buy one and get it geared up for that calibers I load.

I doubt I'd get rid of it, but the I WOULD like a 650. Just too cheap to buy one and get it geared up for that calibers I load.

It's a slippery slope, but really there is no point for all your calibers. Just plan on your primary calibers that you need to load a lot of. For me 9mm (147gr DVC load) and probably 223 prep. For you maybe none, if don't shoot any one caliber a lot, or different one(s). I will continue to use my 550 for 45, 300blk, 30-06, other 9mm loads, and 223 loading. 9 is the only thing I want to load an ammo can of 1200 at a time. Which I should do tonight now that I think about it.

I found this $10 LED flashlight on amazon that is a perfect fit for the toolhead hole on my 550 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R560WC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It isn't a snug enough fit to keep from falling all through, but just add a zip tie or some tape around the body and insert it.  Runs on a single AAA battery.  I have no idea how long the battery will last, but I've used mine for about 8 hours of reloading (not all at once), and it is still holding up.  

I have been using and really find   

Ikea 902.142.33 Jansjo LED Work Lamp, White

I bought mine from Amazon mid 2016, paid about $18,  for the white  lamp  with heavy stand, long flexible goose neck AND LONG POWER CORD WITH HANDY SWITCH IN LINE CORD . Its a IKEA product and sits to left of 550  adjusted to hit stations #2 and 3,  Area is super lite(check powder levels, catch damages to lip of casing etc).

LOVE IT!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...