Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need an affordable scope

I went to my first 3 gun and learned a lot. It went great up until the targets got past 100 yards. My red dot just didn't work well for me on the long range and I could barely see some targets. So, now I am looking at scopes and would like to keep it under $500. Here is a list I've come up with. It would be great if anyone give me a link to the topic if it has been discussed before, and if so I am sorry for posting this. Also, some info on how you like the scopes? Also, If it is worth it to spend more on another scope.

-Vortex viper pst

-vortex crossfire ii

- bushnell ar .223 1-4

- Burris xtr (more than I want to spend)

- Vortex strike eagle (I like this one)

- primary arms 1-6 acss

-mtac

-tac 30

Edited by Shooterben

I've looked at the strike Eagle also and would love to try one. I also know there are tons of people who have ordered them so I think there is probably a long waiting line. Then again, Vortex may be accounting for this and producing a lot of them before the official release so it's hard to say when one would actually be available.

Really like my Primary Arms 1-6. Didn't expect much for the price, $250 otd, but it's more than adequate for me. Would like to see the new Vortex but nobody I know has one.

Ben,

What distance were you shooting when you had trouble and how often will you be shooting 3 gun?

I jumped in and bought the PA 1X6 because I KNEW (so I thought) my red dot wouldn't work if I had to shoot long shots and the new Vortex wasn't available. Now almost two months after my first match with this new rig, and no planned match's in my near future, I think waiting for the new Vortex would have been a better choice for my needs.

If the rumor mill is correct and the new Vortex 1x6 is basically the same as the PA and other scopes then the $100 extra for the Vortex Lifetime warranty is certainly worth it, IMHO.

Ben,

What distance were you shooting when you had trouble and how often will you be shooting 3 gun?

I jumped in and bought the PA 1X6 because I KNEW (so I thought) my red dot wouldn't work if I had to shoot long shots and the new Vortex wasn't available. Now almost two months after my first match with this new rig, and no planned match's in my near future, I think waiting for the new Vortex would have been a better choice for my needs.

If the rumor mill is correct and the new Vortex 1x6 is basically the same as the PA and other scopes then the $100 extra for the Vortex Lifetime warranty is certainly worth it, IMHO.

I have been shooting out to two hundred yards at matches, and I plan to shoot a bunch more matches.

I have the PA 1-6X. It met my budget and I have been happy with it. I have only shot a couple of matches with it but no problems were encountered. The last match I went to had targets out to 400 yards. No problem! I had some nice 68gr HPBT rounds, turned the scope up to 6X and tagged them all.

I have the PA1–6x and I think it can hang with most any $600–$800 scope I have put eyes on. I think you have to spend near a grand to do better. The reticle is a touch busy on the PA, but it hasn't really bothered me. I don't even notice the ranging hashes off to the side when I am shooting it. The main horseshoe is nice.

Really happy with my Alpen 1-6X, it's only flaw is that it does not have locking or covered turrets, so you need to keep an eye on them. But it is lightweight, with nice glass and the ideal reticle with an illuminated dot.

20150511_201847.jpg

1-6x24BDC_reticle.png

I understand that, but it just seems like a waste of money if you already have a 1-6x scope. All it is is extra weight and extra time to rotate the gun to use something you already have in your primary. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious as to why you have both

Sometimes it can be a lot quicker to rotate the gun than to rotate the magnification adjustment on your optic. Especially if you have to go back and forth from near to far targets multiple times in the same stage.

So, if you had to choose, would you get the vortex pst or the Burris mtac? A lot of people seem to like the primary arms, but I seem to like these two. Is the vortex reticle too small to shoot fast? Or, is the mtac reticle not detailed enough to get precise shots? Also, optics planet has the mtac for 388 and the pst for 499, so is it worth the extra 100? If anybody has had them side to side, is one clearer than the other? Are capped turrets needed? Also, on a side note, what switch lever do you guys like? The MGM seems popular.

So, if you had to choose, would you get the vortex pst or the Burris mtac? A lot of people seem to like the primary arms, but I seem to like these two. Is the vortex reticle too small to shoot fast? Or, is the mtac reticle not detailed enough to get precise shots? Also, optics planet has the mtac for 388 and the pst for 499, so is it worth the extra 100? If anybody has had them side to side, is one clearer than the other? Are capped turrets needed? Also, on a side note, what switch lever do you guys like? The MGM seems popular.

1 - Vortex, no question.

2 - Vortex reticle is, in my opinion far superior to the MTAC. If you've never looked through an MTAC in person find a way to do so. I did, and promptly ordered the Vortex.

3 - Easily worth the extra $100. Personally, I'd order from SWFA, PA or anywhere but Optics Planet.

4 - Vortex glass is better in my opinion.

5 - Capped turrets are nice, and provide peace of mind. Most folks aren't going to dial on the clock anyway.

6 - MGM switchview is great, and well worth the $$.