Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need an affordable scope

I have been running a Burris XTR 1-4 for 6 years. Great scope, love the BDC feature. My club shoots 3 gun out to 400 yards and

my old eyes just need some more magnification. Just got the Primary Arms 1-6. Have not mounted it yet, but for the money it

really looks good. Hope the PA BDC matches close to the Burris, which works great with my match ammo. If it does not work out I can always put it on my 22LR upper.

So, I know ffp vs second focal plane is a very big argument. But, would it be usable to have a second focal plane 1-4 and only use the high setting for shots past 100 with the accurate holdovers. Also, is a 1-4 not enough for the targets past 200, like a 400+ yard target?

SFP is preferable for low powered variables. The reticle is often too fine to see with a FFP at 1x. The suitability of a 4x depends on the size of your 400+ yard target, but it seems that in 3 gun the targets are sized generously enough and painted a visible color so 1-4x is not a handicap. Besides, that's the most magnification anyone ever had till the 1-6x scopes came to market a few years ago.

I much prefer the MTAC reticle to the PST. Most of what we do in 3gun is close and the MTAC is faster and has useable daylight illumination.

The MGM switchview is the way to go.

I have dialed on the clock and it can be useful. Better to dial before though. The Burris XTRII 1-5 is what I run and it is a great optic. For the features and price or can not be beat.

Edited by MarkCO

I much prefer the MTAC reticle to the PST. Most of what we do in 3gun is close and the MTAC is faster and has useable daylight illumination.

The MGM switchview is the way to go.

I have dialed on the clock and it can be useful. Better to dial before though. The Burris XTRII 1-5 is what I run and it is a great optic. For the features and price or can not be beat.

Is the pst illumination not usable in bright daylight? Also, I'm torn between the two reticles. The pst seems cleaner than the Burris, but the Burris looks faster and larger. Is a 1moa dot just too small for a center aiming point?

PST illumination is a dusk only proposition. To me, the fine reticle and the dimmer illumination push the PST more towards a precision type scope than a 3Gun type scope. Once you get out past where you need a finer reticle, the MTAC is there. Nothing is really "too" anything. Your vision, style, target color, distance, environment all come in to play. The PST is a very good scope, I just think the MTAC is better in the places that make a bigger impact on the scoresheet.

I have challenged a few folks to shoot the same course of fire with both optics and there was little difference on the long targets, but a few guys were faster on the stuff 100 yards on in. I think to some degree it comes down to a similar argument of using too much magnification. If you know what you need to see, you press the trigger. OTOH, if you have a lot of magnification or a finer reticle, the tendency is to try to perfect the sight picture, which uses time.

Not to be a broken record, but 3Gun is not cheap. But it is more expensive when you buy cheap gear. :)

I agree as well, but with a limited budget you get what you can. I have had no issues with mine being tossed around, dropped etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I know ffp vs second focal plane is a very big argument. But, would it be usable to have a second focal plane 1-4 and only use the high setting for shots past 100 with the accurate holdovers. Also, is a 1-4 not enough for the targets past 200, like a 400+ yard target?

I shoot a Burris MTAC 1-4x out to 400 yards in local 3 gun matches. It's doable, but I'm itching to try a 1-6!

1-4 is fine out to at least 600. I have shot several top ten stage scores on long range stages. Casanova has long range stage wins, over 600 yards for the long target on one, shooting 1x. Those are overalls, not just in division.

I like my 1-6x but I don't think the extra magnification does anything for my scores. The only time it really makes a difference is when there's unpainted steel stuck in the shade at 200+ yards, and that's something I've only ran into practicing at home, not in a match (yet).