Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changed extractor in my M3000 and...

igolfat8

After I removed the old extractor I noticed both the sides were severely gouged and scarred up on the end closest to the spring. The extractor end was practically new, as I've only run 150 rounds through it. However, I've had a lot of failures to eject, hence the decision to replace the extractor. It would barely pivot and would get hung up easily if worked by hand. As I was test fitting the new Benelli extractor I noticed it would not fit in the slot in the bolt head at all. Upon closer inspection I noticed the end of the slot, closest to the spring was peened over and there was a sharp lip rolled inward. This is the area that was scarred up on the old extractor. I removed the burr with my Dremmel and the new extractor fit like a glove.

Is the spring end of the slot supposed to be peened over from the factory? Has anyone else noticed this?

Keep in mind you are buying a less than 500 dollar self loading shotgun from Turkey.

Any (all) countries can run and feed a CNC machine. But quality hand labor and QC are a litle tougher to come by for that price point.

Love my M3000's but sometimes you get one that needs a little TLC

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little feedback ... my M3000 ran flawlessly in my first 3G match yesterday since replacing the extractor with a Benelli extractor. Wow, what a difference the way this thing runs now.

• 3 months later...

What tool did you use to remove the original extractor from the bolt head? I'm having trouble getting the pin to budge.

Which direction are you going? The pin is half blind, you need to push it out from the side where you only see half of the pin, use a punch to carefully catch the edge of it and get it started. If you are hammering in the end you see fully exposed you are going the wrong way.

This has been identified as an issue on shotguns produced in the last 6-8 months. The earlier guns did not seem to have this problem, so something in their process (or a personnel change) has caused it. We now check for this on every gun that goes through our shop, as of about 6-8 weeks ago. Stoeger has been informed of this issue, so hopefully they will be addressing it at the production level ASAP. I have a feeling this was the root cause of the extraction issues that had people swapping in Benelli extractors. Hopefully if they fix the burrs in the bolt head, the Benelli swap will prove unnecessary

What tool did you use to remove the original extractor from the bolt head? I'm having trouble getting the pin to budge.

Which direction are you going? The pin is half blind, you need to push it out from the side where you only see half of the pin, use a punch to carefully catch the edge of it and get it started. If you are hammering in the end you see fully exposed you are going the wrong way.

I'm going the correct way, but am having trouble finding a punch to fit exactly in the hole. Should I use a regular flat head punch or a roll pin punch? What size? My current set of punches are limited, so I am looking to add more. thanks.