Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM Spinner and slugs at 40 yards. Gun it or run it?

If you went to a match with nothing but "low recoil" 40 grain varmint loads for your AR because they are easier to shoot fast at paper, then discovered when you got there that there were 400 yard shots in the wind, you are unprepared, the stage is not unfair. To me, 25 percent of a major match is homework and stage watching before the first shot is fired. Be prepared for any potential target presentation, and know your limitations so you don't waste undue time on targets that you don't have the ability/ equipment to handle. When I started, an 8 inch target at 350yds was beyond my/my rifle's ability, and at my first major I wasted almost a mag on every long target. (It was the NW Multigun challenge, so there were several on every stage past 200 yds) . Now, the same targets I have confidence in because my skill level has increased, I am running a rifle that can make that shot, and if the hits aren't there for some reason I move on quickly. The spinner IS NO DIFFERENT. At first, it ate my lunch. Then, I was happy to see it as long as it was somewhere I could shoot it with my shotgun and a tight choke. Then, I got to the point where double or triple hits with my pistol were in my wheelhouse, so seeing it on a pistol stage no longer scared me. Then I discovered that if I use my long range rifle ammo (77s), it wasn't too bad with a rifle as long as I remember the delay between when my brain says go and the bullet gets there. Slugs, I feel I can get there, but I am not there yet. Challenge to overcome. Hopefully a year from now I will be thinking " Gee, I remember when this used to scare me". :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF an Eel jumps out and he snaps off your snout it,s a moray.....sung to the tune of the old Dean Martin song, " It,s amoray" If, If, If

"If" is the word we use to feel better about the words "Ah CRAP!"

"IF" is the middle word in life!

Oh yeah, well like man, it,s also the middle word in you know, WIFE!

If you went to a match with nothing but "low recoil" 40 grain varmint loads for your AR because they are easier to shoot fast at paper, then discovered when you got there that there were 400 yard shots in the wind, you are unprepared, the stage is not unfair. To me, 25 percent of a major match is homework and stage watching before the first shot is fired. Be prepared for any potential target presentation, and know your limitations so you don't waste undue time on targets that you don't have the ability/ equipment to handle. When I started, an 8 inch target at 350yds was beyond my/my rifle's ability, and at my first major I wasted almost a mag on every long target. (It was the NW Multigun challenge, so there were several on every stage past 200 yds) . Now, the same targets I have confidence in because my skill level has increased, I am running a rifle that can make that shot, and if the hits aren't there for some reason I move on quickly. The spinner IS NO DIFFERENT. At first, it ate my lunch. Then, I was happy to see it as long as it was somewhere I could shoot it with my shotgun and a tight choke. Then, I got to the point where double or triple hits with my pistol were in my wheelhouse, so seeing it on a pistol stage no longer scared me. Then I discovered that if I use my long range rifle ammo (77s), it wasn't too bad with a rifle as long as I remember the delay between when my brain says go and the bullet gets there. Slugs, I feel I can get there, but I am not there yet. Challenge to overcome. Hopefully a year from now I will be thinking " Gee, I remember when this used to scare me". :)

Yes said it perfectly , you and your equipment have to be prepared. I usually shoot a low recoil load, if I just want a target to make noise for a hit. If I need to make a spinner spin, I keep some full power slugs and Prairie Storm, but I also practice and know how many Winchester AA heavy targets to spin it. I try to practice 3 times a month with my spinner.

Same with rifle, have a real accurate load for 200 yds and under, and I have a load for when I shot High Power for those stages over 200 yds. I practice enough to know where they hit. I practice off hand plate racks at 50-100 yards every time I practice.

I carry a couple of boxes of full power slugs, Prairie Storm and long range rifle ammo to every match, just in case.

This "sport" started out as a test of practical shooting of all 3 defensive and ofensive platforms, AND ammunition! It was never a test of "ammunition selection". All this crap about "bunny fart loads" and "extra full on 2 ounce plains stompers" should NEVER have been part of this sport. I blame any rule set that never specified...MUST MEET MINIMUM POWER FLOOR OF DIVISION!! And just listed caliber, as much as gimmick targets that would require anyone to use anything other than good old standard issue ammunition

• 10 months later...

New year, new shotgun spinner tomorrow.

53 yards, 30 second slug bonus. 60 second failure to spin penalty.

It's an option in the middle of a slug array, (after a rifle string and before another array of KOs and flipper clays).

I'm just posting here to keep myself accountable. I had planned to Prairie Storm it at 20 yards (where the shotgun dump barrel is) but I think I'll hold that as backup.

Dude building the stage with me yesterday basically told me to sack up and do the math. What's the point of making a 3 page post on the internet about it if I can't take good advice?

I'm off to the range to get my slug holds dialed.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Well...shit. I DQed 40 seconds into the match.

Interestingly enough, the pro/sponsored teams largely elected to not spin it with slugs and double tagged it with birdshot this year.

damn! that hurts. keep us posted at the next match

Looks like 6 of the top 7 spun it but except for the odd few most failed or did not attempt it. I hit it with my spare slug but opted for a Prairie storm spin as my plan.

Which stage did you DQ on? There were quite a few this year.

• 4 weeks later...

I spun it at CVMG with 1 shot to the top, a miss, 1 top, 1 bottom. 7/8 oz Fiocci at 1300 fps. I tried to use the heavy hitters last year at Ironman, but I am not as accurate with them. It is more important to get the hits than have the slugs that destroy your shoulder along with the target.

I think a bunch of the DQs were pistols falling out of the holster. I know two people DQs on the V stage due to that.

Isnt that the truth. I started out trying to spin it with the normal 7/8oz 1300fps Fiocchi I normally use. It killed me. I switched over to 1oz 1600fps Winchester deer hunting slugs and didnt have a problem the rest of the match.

I shot Fiocchi 7/8 low recoil slugs on every spinner at Ironman this year and didn't have a problem. It's more about getting your hits and timing.

Doug

The best stage ever for shotgun. A dual spinner! You need to spin both....but in OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS!!!! No, your not done yet!!!! You have to stop them both as well. No humongo shells allowed. Now not only do you have to know your timing and be accurate, you have to know how much pattern will be enough to stop it. As soon as they are stopped a pair of crossing birds are thrown 90 degrees to the shooter, one to the left one to the right, and then hit a C zone at 107 yards with a slug for the stop plate. This tests every facet of shotguning

The best stage ever for shotgun. A dual spinner! You need to spin both....but in OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS!!!! No, your not done yet!!!! You have to stop them both as well. No humongo shells allowed. Now not only do you have to know your timing and be accurate, you have to know how much pattern will be enough to stop it. As soon as they are stopped a pair of crossing birds are thrown 90 degrees to the shooter, one to the left one to the right, and then hit a C zone at 107 yards with a slug for the stop plate. This tests every facet of shotguning

I think the ROs will have to double plug because of the wailing and screaming running that one. Sounds cool to me!