Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM Spinner and slugs at 40 yards. Gun it or run it?

A match earlier in the year had a stage starting with a spinner out at 40 yards- a 60 second bonus if you spun it with slugs (from the start box)- 60 second penalty if you failed to spin it with birdshot up close. I think 2 or 3 shooters out of 80ish got the bonus. None of them were squadded with me so I don't know how long it took them to get it over.

I was using a borrowed shotgun for that stage and I didn't know where the POI for slugs was, so I ran up on it and got it spinning in 4 rounds of federal 1 1/8 oz. target loads. The matches at this club have been particularly shotgun heavy this year, and I suspect that spinners are going to be integrated into at least one stage for the rest of 2015.

I'm just wondering if y'all think that this setup is an "easy" bonus if one knew where their slugs landed, or is it a time trap? I'm shooting the bulk box Fiocchi 7/8oz 1100 fps slugs and even if I knew my hold that day, I still wonder if that load had enough momentum behind it to get the spinner moving at 40 yards.

Another thing to consider was that there were another 12 KO steel/poppers/clays after the start box, so round count and loadout had to be considered.

Is it reasonable to expect that 2 solid hits on the bottom plate at 40 yards would get a full rotation? 3 hits? 4? I just don't know.

Would taking the time to drop prone be worth it?

An extra 30-40 seconds of bonus would have bumped me up a dozen places. I just thought I would throw it out there and see how everyone else would shoot it.

sign-twirler-spinner-5984829_zpsvkkzpi6u

(because photoshop)

Edited by BitchinCamaro

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last month I shot a match with a spinner at 50 yards. 2 slugs (1oz low recoil) to the bottom plate easily rotated it. On the next stage was another spinner at around 10 yards with birdshot, it ate my lunch. My first time shooting this particular target and I was engaging it too late in its arc.

The MGM Ironman is known for these slug targets. 1 Full power 1500fps hit to the bottom plate get it over. At your match I would have fired two slugs and then if unsuccessful I would have ran up to the spinner for the birdshot. 1 round of 3" Prairie Storm gets it over or three rounds of 1250fps 1 1/8 7.5's.

Slugs at spinners at 40 yards...yep, I could spin it in one. Is everyone wearing flak jackets?

Slug ricochets are the most dangerous ones we have in 3Gun. I would not put a spinner inside about 80 yards and I think MGM has a warning about slugs inside a certain distance.

Spinners are at least as much technique as horsepower, until you are using PS, Turkey or Magnum loads.

I just bought a spinner, not a MGM but the one MOA sells. Seems to move easily, so if it quits raining tomorrow morning I will head out to the range and see how easy it is to spin with slugs. I spun they before usually 1 shot of Prairie Storm or a 3" #6 pheasant load.

That thar is funny!!!, but I ain't from Colorado. I feel it is a fairly easy bonus, with my shotgun with it's nice rear sight, knowing it can easily do head shots at 50 yards with the slugs I use. With a borrowed shotgun and not knowing about it's poi...I would imitated Jesse Owens, No Zen no Yoda, just plain old common sense.....refer or not ;)

Spun a spinner with 2 slugs and hit a popper in between shots. Don't let it intimidate you, start to watch video at 3:12.

That was some AMAZINGLY shooting. It's videos like that people see and say, well that looks easy. Very smooth man!

I took my spinner out to the range this morning. At 50 yds. I was able to spin it easily with Fiochi 1 oz full power slugs, with some carefull aiming hit it first shot. Tried with a Fiochi 7/8, low recoil, took two hits to spin it but only spun once. The full power I lost count how many times it spun.

I would do the slug shot before I would run up 40 yds to shoot the spinner with bird shot.

40 is definitely do-able with slugs. We have been practicing for Ironman, and 70 yards with Federal Truball 1oz 1300fps slugs will spin it in 2 hits every time, even if there are a miss or two between the hits. Shoot your slugs on paper and make sure you know POI at various distances, and to make sure your shotgun likes whatever slugs you get. Some are quite picky.

Lots of good info here!

MarkCO, it didn't seem like slug-splash was a concern at 40 yards. The stage designers are usually very safety conscious and I believe MGM (maybe action target) had a rep at the match shooting all the stages. I'll ask at the next match.

Thanks Oskino and The Donald (and everyone else) for the real world data.

It's not a case of intimidation, it's just a target setup that I can't imitate in practice. Without seeing it happen I can't imagine what it's supposed to do, if you don't mind me getting all zen on you guys.

Oskino, did you have an elbow down in that barrel, or was it all offhand?

I think next time I'll go prone and tag it with a full 1oz Remington Slugger.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Slug spinners where the target that separated the shooters in the ironman this year. There where lots of them. They where by far the hardest targets in the match, and the most important. I think the closest one was 50 yards and the farthest was 70, there where 5 in the match, but you shot one twice for a total of 6. The big thing I noticed was that if you did not get a first or second round hit on the thing it did not seem to matter how many slugs that you spent, it wasn't going to go. I don't know if it is a confidence thing or if it is heat related, I know my guns seem to shoot slugs poorly when hot. I watched a lot of shooters Spend a lot of time, and waste a lot of slugs, only to end up taking the same penalty that they would have gotten had they not even engaged it.

Isnt that the truth. I started out trying to spin it with the normal 7/8oz 1300fps Fiocchi I normally use. It killed me. I switched over to 1oz 1600fps Winchester deer hunting slugs and didnt have a problem the rest of the match.

Isnt that the truth. I started out trying to spin it with the normal 7/8oz 1300fps Fiocchi I normally use. It killed me. I switched over to 1oz 1600fps Winchester deer hunting slugs and didnt have a problem the rest of the match.

That kind of begs the question, how fair is a stage that essentially requires you use hotter ammo just to complete a stage?