Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does any one use a plated bullet to make major in a 38 Super?

bigboy69

Yes, Rainier 125 38 super. They leave them in the plating longer to give them a "heavy" or "double" plate.

Xtreme and Berry's make double plate 125s as well I believe.

I have used frontier 121gr 9mm/.356 bullets for almost 6 years. I've shot a lot of them in that time. I have always had good luck with their 121gr bullets they are every bit as accurate for me as mg or zeroes.

Xtreme 124 grain fp. Loaded and shot thousands of them through 3 different open guns. I use them for 38 super and 357 sig. Works really well with n105@8.9 grains and 1.230 OAL.

Edited by MrPostman

Thank you everyone. I gotta find one bullet for steel and USPSA major.

@ MrPostman I'm going to try the extreme 125g FP .357 dia

The ones you are using are not dbl plated are they???

Thank you everyone. I gotta find one bullet for steel and USPSA major.

@ MrPostman I'm going to try the extreme 125g FP .357 dia

The ones you are using are not dbl plated are they???

The ones I use are .355 diameter and are not double plated. If you are shooting an STI then I recommend the .355s, extremely accurate in all three guns. I have pushed them 1500fps in load testing and they were accurate at those speeds. The sweet spot on these at least for me is about 1370fps average, very soft shooting and shoots 1 Inch groups at 25 yards. Edited by MrPostman

Shit yeah I do. :)

124gn frontier RN 356

10.4gn 3n38

Starline super brass

Fed SRP

1400fps out of my gold custom which has 12 barrel holes and a dicky little comp. :)

Shot thousands and they are great.

As above do not over crimp. You don't want them marked in any way during loading.

I've loaded 124 xtreme to 1600fps. Load for a comped gun shot out of a 6in are of a non comped gun to "SEE WHAT HAPPENS" Accurate, and didn't tear off the plating. I would recommend Xtreme to anybody. At the moment I run 10g 3n38 under a 115 tphp.

During the bullet drought, I tried xtreme heavy plate, minimal crimp

They shot ok in one gun, didn't group worth a damn in the other

And the price of plated has gone up to the point that's their pretty close to precision delta when you buy in bulk

My oal is 1.20 - 1.22 with a Zero 125JHP and 7.8g Auto Comp

I tried a 124g extreme RN I was able to get PF but I had a 6" group at 10yds. I thought maybe it was because the bullet dia was .355

I'm going to try the 125g FP Extreme hopefully tonight and see what it does.

I don't want to keep buying Jacketed bullets.

Out of my gun 10g 3n38 makes a 171pf. The load w 1600fps was a 124 and 800x. I don't have my data with me but I will look at the oal for that load when I get home. I use cci#400 srp starline sc brass and a .001 taper with a 115 xtreme. I can't recall the oal I just switched from 124 9 maj to 38 sc with 115s.

It may be that your gun just doesn't like the round nose profile, the flat points have a little more bearing surface so they are stabilized better. Here is a pic of the 124 fp and a 124 hprn for reference. If plated bullets are not grouping for you then you may need to go .356 which is what I would try first before I went to .357. Also you should load and pull a few to check your crimp, what you want is just a small lightly indented line around the bullet. These are very easy to overcrimp especially if you are used to loading jacketed bullets.

post-52129-0-80741900-1432236658_thumb.p

What your oal? 10.2 of 3n38 w 115gt Rainiet to make major at 1.230 & 9.8 with 124gr. 1.230 oal. Makes right @ 169pf

I'm guessing you meant me? Oal is 1.245 atm. I've moved as short as 1.240 and long as 1.250. Did not find much difference in those length changes. With this particular combo.

Edited by BeerBaron