Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Open Guys... Need Advice

JeffWard

I'm back considering building an M&P Open Gun. My "Base Gun" is a used 5" M&P Pro Series.

Go with Carver components, or SJC?

KKM Barrel w/ Carver 4-Port, or KKM/SJC 4-Port? WHY?

Carver Optic Mount, or SJC Mount? WHY?

C-More Railway (sideways or vertical?) or C-More RTS? Or OTHER? WHY? I'm definitely going with a frame-mount, not a slide mount.

Ammo:

9-MAJOR Power Factor...

115gr? 124gr? Preferred powder, charge, bullet, COL? WHY?

Any issued long-term shooting Major in the M&P?

Thanks a TON!

JeffWard

Here's a link to a build thread that I made on another forum (I'm lazy, don't feel like re-typing it) http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/420829-9mm-major-pf-build-thread.html

To answer some of your questions:

1. I used both

2. KKM/Carver, no particular reason

3. SJC mount so I could use my Safariland 014 holster

4. CMore sideways, glass closer to the slide

5. 124gr w/ Autocomp, I likes the way it feels.

5. Only been shooting it a couple of months, so I'm still wondering about your last question, time will tell. :surprise:

My biggest fear is drilling the frame for the front pin in that SJC Mount.

I wonder how much SJC would charge to mount it to my existing frame???

Jeff

That part of the pistol (where the holes are drilled and the threaded inserts are installed) is not part of the "frame". The frame is the steel part that is molded into the polymer and stops short of that part of the lower pistol. That part has no structural purpose, it only covers up the spring. Don't know what SJC would charge, you might try calling them?

I really like Carver, just for their helpfulness when you contact them. Their accessability and willingness to help may make your build easier down the road.

I've wanted to put together a plastic open gun for a while. My hold out is that its gonna cost to play. One case failure shooting 9 Major and your frame could (most likely will) crack. If you want to play it safe(r ), you can get reputable brass ie. Starline, etc. Even if you do then you have to decide how many times you would reload them.

I've gone back and forth on wether or not I would trust once fired brass in a plastic open gun.

As for everything else, I think youre right to use a frame mount as opposed to a slide mount. To go vertical or sideways is something you will probably have to play with and see which is easier to find the dot on your draw.

Dont know if any of that helps?...

Edited by racingjoe27

Not sure how much this will apply because it was .40 but I tried Kkm with carver comp on an mp 40 pro core and it really flattened out some rather sharp .40 loads. I was happy with its performance. Ended up abandoning the open plan but overall I was impressed with the carver comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carver mount did not work on my .40 M&P pro. Cases would hit the mount and jam. I have two M&P pros

One with storm lake conversion barrel to 9mm other is KKM 5.25 threaded with Carver Comp. Between two barrels KKM is better. Just starting to reload going to shoot .40 major trying HS-6 with 135 jhp will update.