Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P09 trigger improvement

DRichardson

I have been thinking about shooting production lately. I have narrowed my choices down to a tanfo limited pro, cz sp01 shadow, or a p09. Probably going to do either of the cz's honestly unless I find a killer deal on a tanfo. I have a p09 that is my bedside gun that I really like and shoot well, I also have a cz75 SA that is decked out that I use for limited minor and 3 gun, so I have some experience with both platforms.

My main question is how good can you get a p09 trigger? I realize it will never be as good as a shadow, but what pull weights are you getting? I asume since it isn't coming factory in any gun the cz USA comp hammer isn't legal in the p09. Is there any way to get a overtravel adjustment on the p09 that is production legal?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give David at Cajun Gun Works a call . They are the foremost experts on the omega trigger system . I have a P09 that was upgraded and done by them and it is AWESOME . I have another P09 that I will be ordering parts from him for and tuning it myself . Like I said give him a call , you won't be disappointed !

As far as how good can you get the trigger , my double action on the gun they built is right at 6 lbs , the single action is 3 lbs . I could probably getthe double action a little lower by tuning and playing with some different springs but it's MONEY with how it's set up . Like I said I have a box stock P09 I am going to tune myself , and I'm also in the process of building an SP01 with Cajun parts .

Edited by AdamMP9

I've got two P09's, one is 3.2/6.0 and the second 2.10/6.10. the one with the 6.0lbs double action feels as good as the double action on my shadow, but not as good in single action or reset.

I have CGW parts in two P-09's but I'm using the CGW hammers which you can't use. Just call David at Cajun Gun Works and ask him what he can do for a production gun. CZ Custom can also help fix you up. With the CGW parts, mine was good enough to win several local bullseye matches last year.

With the CGW hammer and sear, an overtravel screw isn't really needed as the trigger goes nearly to the frame anyway. With a tuned stock hammer, that may not be the case.

The lock up and timing of the P-09 make it a very, very accurate shooter, the best I've ever shot. That said, I still love the steel 75 and 97 models as well.

(Shooting a plastic gun in a bullseye match dominated by fancy 1911's is a hoot, too.)

Joe

Edited by Joe L

I have been thinking about shooting production lately. I have narrowed my choices down to a tanfo limited pro, cz sp01 shadow, or a p09. Probably going to do either of the cz's honestly unless I find a killer deal on a tanfo. I have a p09 that is my bedside gun that I really like and shoot well, I also have a cz75 SA that is decked out that I use for limited minor and 3 gun, so I have some experience with both platforms.

My main question is how good can you get a p09 trigger? I realize it will never be as good as a shadow, but what pull weights are you getting? I asume since it isn't coming factory in any gun the cz USA comp hammer isn't legal in the p09. Is there any way to get a overtravel adjustment on the p09 that is production legal?

The definition of never as good is not one that can be put on paper.

I shoot my P09 better than i ever shot my shadows for a variety of reasons and the supposed inferior trigger does absolutely nothing to slow me down or degrade my performance.

In fact, i find the heavier DA pull of the P09 to be an easier pull due to the actual straight walled trigger shape. The overall throw is VERY short and VERY easy to manage.

If you like the P09 and you shoot it well, have one tuned up and you will be surprised at how manageable the trigger can actually be.

I spoke to David a couple weeks ago about changing hammers for production and he said there are several hndred shooters using his hammer in production and no one has said anything about catching flack for it . Just my 2 cents .

Edited by AdamMP9

I spoke to David a couple weeks ago about changing hammers for production and he said there are several hndred shooters using his hammer in production and no one has said anything about catching flack for it . Just my 2 cents .

That will be ok ( not really in my book) until someone starts to do really well with them. I plan on shooting a lot more major matches in the coming year so I want to be completely legal.

I understand that , was just tossing that out there bud . I could be wrong but I believe the cz custom hammer is production legal . I'm using Davids hammer currently , however I do keep a cz custom hammer in my bag just in case .

I was under the impression that the cz custom hammer isn't legal either. They don't offer a gun on their web site that comes with this hammer so 2000 guns couldn't have been produced with them yet. I could be wrong, but I thought that is how this works, but I'm also very new to production.

I was under the impression that the cz custom hammer isn't legal either. They don't offer a gun on their web site that comes with this hammer so 2000 guns couldn't have been produced with them yet. I could be wrong, but I thought that is how this works, but I'm also very new to production.

Shrug, it looks like a standard factory part so its got to be legal, right? ...

CZ UB sells a Comp hammer for the P-09 that is production legal. CZC has them for sell for $68. David can put in the CZ Comp hammer and make you production legal. Also you cannot have the over travel installed on the P-09 stock trigger and be production legal. I would imagine with the Comp hammer that it is unnecessary. I have been very interested in try out a production legal Cajunized P-09.

http://czcustom.com/p07p09czubcomphammer.aspx

CZ UB sells a Comp hammer for the P-09 that is production legal. CZC has them for sell for $68. David can put in the CZ Comp hammer and make you production legal. Also you cannot have the over travel installed on the P-09 stock trigger and be production legal. I would imagine with the Comp hammer that it is unnecessary. I have been very interested in try out a production legal Cajunized P-09.

http://czcustom.com/p07p09czubcomphammer.aspx

Thanks, Nice to know.

Joe, I'm glad you posted -- I found your hammer kit video last week and have watched it a couple times, just getting a feel for how all the bits and pieces work together. Thanks very much for taking the time to put them together, very useful to me.

Joe, I'm glad you posted -- I found your hammer kit video last week and have watched it a couple times, just getting a feel for how all the bits and pieces work together. Thanks very much for taking the time to put them together, very useful to me.

+1 Very helpful!

Omega trigger system is pretty easy to work with. It just does some funky things sometimes.

You can get a fairly smooth and light DA, kinda of crisp SA release with the upgraded parts. Even some of the factory triggers are pretty good with simple changes like mainspring, firing pin, firing pin spring.

Well I'll have to post my opinions when I'm all done but I'm picking up another P09 sat. and I'm going to throw everything CGW has for it short of the hammer and see what happens. How light are any of you going on mainsprings. I put a blue CGW 13 lbs mainspring in my current otherwise stock P09 and had some light strikes with CCI primers. Definitely showed some promise though. Should I be good to go with CCIs with the 13 lb spring and a extended firing pin? I couldn't find federals local but did find some winchesters to try.

Also does any one have a supporting documentation for the cz customs comp hammer being production legal? Does it seem to get along with all the CGW parts?

There is not a CZ Custom Hammer that I am aware of. The CZ Comp hammers you see on CZ Customs website are all CZUB parts and there for are production legal in USPSA, IPSC, and IDPA.

I have only ever loaded with CCI primers and used a 13lb mainspring in my P-09 with the CGW extended firing pin and have not had any light strikes. But, I've only shot 100 or so of my loads since switching to that combo. Probably 400 or so factory with no problems.

Over 9K rounds through P09's with extended firing pins and 13 pound hammer springs.

I never could get the 11.5lb springs to work but they simply werent needed. The triggers were THAT good with the 13 lb springs.