Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure question

I have read horror stories about leaving powder in powder drops in the past, how safe is it to leave powder (Longshot & BE-86) in the Dillon Powder hopper over night, or a couple of days? I don't want to mess up my new 650 trying to get it setup over a few days...

Someone else might jump in, but as I understand it, nitrocellulose based powders will attack the plastic hoppers. Many powders can be stored for a while, others will stain and damage the plastic.

It's not hard to dump the powder out of the measure. Just loosen the 2 allen headed screws just above the powder die and slowly rotate the failsafe link age out.

If it was me, I would not store any powders in the powder measure until you were SURE that your particular powders are ones that do not attack the plastic.

Happy loading.

Young eyes, thanks for the links - my bad, I was in a rush to start using the press, but knew I wouldn't get through many rounds tonight... For anyone else that sees this seems the consensus is that it is fine to leave it setup for short periods, but you run the risk of mixing powders, maybe a little discolorization, or moisture absorption, etc,,,

I don't handload in "batch" sessions. I pretty much load what I'm going to shoot the next day (or week if it's an "away" match) I leave powder in the measure when I'm loading every day, if I'm going to be gone for a few days (or longer) I empty the measure. This probably works for me because I'm retired and shooting is my retirement activity. I'm never in a time crunch. :cheers:

I bought my square deal b around 1993. I don't think it's really ever not had powder in it. I guess I'm lazy.

All of my powder hoppers are dark. I leave powders in the hoppers all of the time.

I don't take the powder out. Some has been there over a year. My thinking is that if the hoppers turn dark I can always buy a new tube for them...or just use them dark.

I do label them as to the contents and I do keep the lids on them.

Edited by dddoo7

I bought my square deal b around 1993. I don't think it's really ever not had powder in it. I guess I'm lazy.

+1, bought my 550 in 1991 and I always have powder in one of the hoppers (except for the time I spent overseas since I was reloading). Of course they are discolored some but it has not affected function.

Don't all the manufacturers recommend against this due to either the ambient air being too humid or dry, and affecting the moisture content in the powder?

Probably but if your room stays within the comfort zone, then there shouldn't be any worries. I have used HS6 for the past several years, leave it in the hopper all the time and every year, I get the same results from my powder/load in terms of accuracy, power factor, metering, etc.

Don't all the manufacturers recommend against this due to either the ambient air being too humid or dry, and affecting the moisture content in the powder?

Don't watch the whole thing, but I think you get the idea of taking the whole humidity thing too far. :goof: