Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick...help me buy a $400 scope off of Amazon!

Trumpet

Ok,
So I need an affordable scope for my SPR-ish/3-gun build (18" WOA barrel). I currently only have access to a 200 yard range. This will be primarily for casual target shooting with the possibility of shooting 3-gun (if I ever get the time, etc.). I'm limited to Amazon as I have a $200 gift card there. So, I figure add another $200 and I can get something pretty nice (yes I know "pretty nice" is all relative). I do want a 30mm tube though. So, I'm thinking.....

Burris 4.5-14 MTAC

Burris 1-4 MTAC
Vortex Viper PST 1-4
Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16
Vortex HS 2.5-10x44

Weaver Super Slam 1.5-6 with illuminated Ger#4 ret

Other recommendations?

The Burris MTAC is well within your price range. Its a nice scope with excellent glass and a nice bright illumination. Do a little research on the forum and you will find many like this scope.

Since you are limited to 200 yards, the doughnut rectical might be just right for what you need.

In my case, the donut covered a little too much of the target at longer ranges. Up to 150 yards its a perfect 3 gun scope (again, just my opinion) but as soon as I needed to hit targets much beyond 200 yards a less busy rectical was needed.

I picked up several Burris XTR 1-4 scope and I'm quite happy with them.

Bill

+1 for the 1-4 MTAC. It'll do you nicely for your 200 yard range. I used one for my first year of 3-gun and it served me well out to 500 yards at our home range. I've since graduated to something a bit nicer, but I kept the MTAC since I liked it so much.

If you only have a 200 yd range available and think you might shoot three gun sometime, I'd suggest not getting one of the higher powered ones as a 1X6 or the Weaver Super Slam would be all you would need.

If you only have a 200 yd range available and think you might shoot three gun sometime, I'd suggest not getting one of the higher powered ones as a 1X6 or the Weaver Super Slam would be all you would need.

Does the dot on the MTAC obscure too much of the target for "precision" work? Also how is the MTAC 1.5-6? How would it compare with the Weaver?

Edited by Trumpet

I had the 1.5-6 MTAC also for a little while, but sold it shortly after picking it up. The glass wasn't nearly as clear as the 1-4, and the 1.5 was just enough to throw me off a bit for close-in stuff. The 6x was nice, but the eye relief and the edge distortion ruined it for me.

I've gotten to try a few scopes in the past couple of years. It took me a long time being on a small budget. I have found that the reticle makes a big difference. My preference is to a bdc style reticle or at least something that gives you more info than just crosshairs. Maybe something else to think about before making your purchase.

With that said I have a viper pst 1-4. It's a great scope for the money. And you can't beat the warranty.

Edited by naim

Big fan of the mtac. Had one for about 2 seasons. Only thing I don't like is the reticle for is like 2.25 MOA, and it common at our home range to have 6" plates at 200. The dot pretty much covers the plate. Completely workable just maybe not ideal. Also not great for trying to shoot groups at 100 to check loads. I end up using the cross on the reticle with the cross on the target.

The bdc is totally workable and I made good use of it at fnh making hit out to 400, even though my load doesn't match the bdc. Strelock is your friend and will help you know where to hold.

I am also a big fan of the big outer ring for close stuff.

I would like to get a 1-6x and move the mtac to the 9mm practice rifle but I haven't found anything in that mag with reticle features I really like

+1 on the MTAC. I really like the horseshoe reticle for the short range 3 gun. I keep the rifle sighted at 100 yds so I can move the horseshoe up and use the hash marks for the longer range shots.

Edited by BiggenF15

Well, after assessing what I most likely going to do with the rifle, I went a different direction. I ended up with one of these.... http://www.natchezss.com/3-12x44-black-matte-illum.html

At that price I couldn't afford to NOT get it (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Now....what affordable mount?

Interesting choice, given your initial parameters. Are you going to use some kind of offset sights for short range targets?