Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iaido?

EDA

Anyone here train in iaido? I just got a custom iaito made when I visited Japan and will be taking up lessons in the next month or so. Figure I would supplement my "blaster" with "a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age" and that it would help with my focus by cross-training.

Edited by EDA

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I had to respond anyway. I did iaido, iaijutsu, and kenjutsu, along with other martial arts for a long time. I was what you guys would call a "tactical shooter" for a living during the same time frame (and still am). I'm new to USPSA, but view it mentally no differently than iai. I actually made the comment to my wife (also a tactical shooter by profession), who I met in the dojo, the other day that USPSA is our Iai now...

Edited by GhettoGunfighter

• 3 months later...

I started to practice iaido around 2002, Muso Shinden-ryu style. Then came sports chanbara (modern japanese fencing) and Toyama-ryu iaido with it. Very practical school of wielding a sword. I have practiced tameshi-giri as well. In that sence it is very similar to practical shooting. But with different proportions maybe. I'm quite new to shooting and practicing IPSC for about two years by now. With fencing I ended up as a certified referee and instructor (3d dan). After several consecutive seasons of active competitions it was enough for me. Old traumas and lack of free time set different priorities. But I do iaido from time to time

I came to following conclusion:

- iaido is some sort of dry firing and different dry drills with pistol (like drawing, entering and exiting into positions, etc.)

- tameshi-giri is actual shooting at targets

If you can find time for both iaido and practical shooting, please do. Some said that shooting is sort of meditation. Precision shooting - yes. IPSC is much more active sport and less time for "meditation". Iaido is pure meditation and way to self perfection. There is no opponents, there is only you who are you competing with. Practicing iaido you can discover different interesting parts of your mind and apply this knowledge to shooting.

It works.