Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear Sight Moving

ES13Raven

Have a CZC SP-01 Shadow Custom and the rear sight is drifting to the right over time.

I have cleaned the dovetail with rubbing alcohol, then used blue loctite on the dovetail and set screw. The screw is still tight and all the way in, but the sight still moves with use.

How can I get it to stay put?

probably not what you want to hear but this is why many of the best shooters who shoot Shadows have fixed rear sights ... things that can move eventually will .... control the things that you can .... there's enough to worry about in a match, you don't want to be thinking about your sights ...

Edited by Nimitz

You can stake it. You can also put the sight back to your zero, remove the set screw, drill a small divot for the set screw to grab a hold of and locktite the set screw. This way you have not only friction but a mechanical fixture to hold the sight.

The divot would be similar to the ones under an AR gas block.

I cleaned and primed the slot and sight on my Tac Sport and used Green Loctite. It has never moved since. I know I will need to machine it out if it needs to be changed but I've done that before.

I struggled and struggled with this. Finally last night I went with the nuclear option. I removed the rear sight and cleaned the dovetail and sight. Then I put the slide on the mill and put a smal drill point cut into the dovetail exactly where the set screw sits. So now the set screw has a tapered hole to sit in, and it positively can not move without the set screw backing out. I used Loc-Tite Green, #609, in the dove tail, and Medium / Blue Loc-tite on the set screw. I also went with a slightly longer set screw - 1/4" long.

(Be careful of choosing Loc-Tite based on color. There are multiple green formulations, including, for instance, the Wicking Green. The #609 is the press fit Loc-Tite. I did NOT use the Loc-Tite surface prep - I didn't have any handy. I just cleaned the surfaces very well in a parts washer, then went back over them with brake-clean to remove all oil residue.)

Hopefully, I never have to think about being at a match shooting left again because my sight was walking. (My sight **ALWAYS"" moved left.)

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Took the rear sight completely off. Lots of crud in there:

Wg9ir7cm.png

Cleaned it with acetone, then rubbing alcohol:

V1LQ8Rem.png

The sight was still decently tight in the dovetail without the set-screw. I had to use a sight tool, then a brass punch to get it out.

After I cleaned it, I put some green loctite in the dovetail and pushed the sight back in. I set the sight where it needs to be, and also put blue loctite on the set-screw. I'm letting it cure for 24 hours at least.

I will see if this works, then try more drastic measures if needed.

I have had to peen the sight base and use red loctite in the dovetail and blue on the set screw of every single cz i've owned that had aftermarket sights. i now check my rear sight every freaking morning before i shoot.